CajunMan and TubaDiva

It is my understanding that TubaDiva is actually paid by the Reader. So, that kind of throws a monkey wrench into your appreciation.

It wouldn’t. I don’t care if he explains it or not. But the incessant whining and whinging over nothing is ultimately deleterious to the over-all health of the boards. Not just from this one thread, of course, but in the aggregate.

The thread was re-opened, so we know that “kissing and telling” is okay here. When the thread was reopened, the error was addressed. Explaining why Cajun Man was wrong serves no purpose. He was wrong. If he wants to explain, great. If he doesn’t want to explain, so fucking what? Why does it matter?

You could also easily ignore Tuba’s “tone,” and be happy that a poor moderating decision was swiftly fixed. If you get to bitch about her, I get to bitch about you. Fair’s fair, after all.

Oh, alright.

Everything negative you’ve said about her posts?

“Are not!”

Is that better?

I think it would be a positive change in the board if every single moderating decision weren’t strapped to a table and dissected with rusty farm tools. The amount of drama you people have managed to wring out of two innocuous posts that were doing what you wanted them to do in the first place is both pathetic and breath-takingly ingracious.

Or maybe that’s just my sycophancy talking.

Although “Since when does TubaDiva work for Rubystreak?” remains a valid question.

I have always read it that she has been paid in the past, and who knows maybe now, to do some technical work for the SDMB. If she is paid to moderate the board, answer emails, reopen threads, etc… Then that is news to me. And it what way does your “monkey wrench” make the assertion that **Cajun Man ** works for her more valid?

Was that thread actually even TMI? It wasn’t really prurient, compared to a lot of stuff I’ve seen here There’s a thread in IMO now called “Ask the Former Restroom Sex Aficionado,” which contains pretty graphic descriptions of anonymous gay sex in public restrooms. That thread is 100% OK with me, don’t get me wrong, but if pizzabrat’s thread is TMI, or prurient, or too kiss and tell, then what is that thread and why wasn’t it closed immediately instead of going to 3 pages? Who would even be offended by a list of what nationalities people have had sex with?

If this is a matter of CajunMan’s discretion, then his judgment was waaaay out in left field there. His post closing the thread made is sound like it was some horrendously offensive thread, and it was just meh. Whatever. Not even all that interesting. But the warning was pretty harsh, so I feel like I missed something there. Maybe not. But it has left me with a :confused: feeling.

AFAIK Ed only posted that Jenny got paid to update the Straight Dope server, not the SDMB. Are you thinking of something else?

You don’t get to decide what “nothing” is to other people.

Serves NO purpose? Aren’t you curious as to why that mostly innocuous thread got terminated with extreme prejudice? And why a warning was dispensed for no reason? OK, fine, you’re not curious. But it’s baseless, stupid, and harmful to the board that other people are curious? Huh.

So, by that logic, NO moderating decision should be questioned? Or only the ones YOU think are worthy of discussion? Huh.

“You people”? Please show me another occasion where I have questioned a mod decision, esp. this strenuously. Please, justify lumping me in with “you people” and their rusty farm implements. Your knee is jerking, Miller. I am not one of those people. I am a paying member of this board who thinks something weird happened in this particular thread. I have the right to ask questions without being tarred with this brush.

Bingo.

I paid my money. I am allowed to question her. Your attempt to ridicule and suppress that questioning boggles the mind.

I thought at one time Ed said she received a “modest stipend” or some such for ongoing SDMB work. Of course, I am likely wrong, but it rings a bell.

From: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=5967763&highlight=modest+stipend#post5967763

I think that’s a little vague w.r.t. what is and isn’t compensated, and reasonably so, and my recollection is that that did not involve Moderation per se, but rather behind the scenes Administration. A fine line, maybe, but an important one.

god go awayyyyy. if we can ignore Tuba’s attitude then why can’t you ignore those of us who want to know why these threads were closed? Yeah an explanation is not going to stop any wars and yes the problem was fixed but how much information people seek out actually does anything ever? I can argue that there was no purpose to me taking the classes I took as electives in college that dont apply to my daily life and career. We’re just CURIOUS and INTERESTED in the explanation.

being a fartface about it is just as dramatic as those of us who are ruining the weather on YOUR message board

Ah, thanks Una, and how in the hell did you find that thread so damn quick?

At least I have some memory left.

I just searched on Ed’s posts, and he doesn’t have that many, relatively speaking, so it was easy to limit the search.

I think it’s best to let Ed and Jenny speak for themselves; I’d be surprised if actual Moderation of the SDMB was included in the paid duties that Jenny does, mainly because she does a hell of a lot of things already that I know about behind the scenes. It’s possible I missed something more explicit, however, which is why I asked earlier in the thread.

Oh, I agree, I’m just happy you confirmed a memory. :wink:

What?

I have no idea who the “Usual Suspects” are. Nor do I care. Never bothered to pay attention to that shit.

Now, based on your first post, it’s clear to me that you have a severe case of Tuba’s-Balls-Busting-itis. However, I in no way meant to imply a pattern of behavior. I meant only to suggest that since you’ve been a member for seven years, you might have seen this sort of thing once or twice, and know how it plays out. I apologize for not making that clear.

Sarafeena, I’m with Jodi. Your irritation and confusion were warranted, and I intended no disrespect to you.

No, I agree with you. And I agree with you again that the original thread wasn’t too TMI. I was just bringing up the subjective judgement used by mods. Sometimes it works, sometimes it misses. There are times when it’s fair to criticize the moderation here. **Cajun Man’s ** comment being a very mild example of it. I’m still missing the TubaDiva vitriol, but that seems constant.

But here we are, two Pit threads into a rant about a minor thread closing -> reopening. Is this really where we want to fight our battles? Because like I mentioned, the us vs. TPTB really does have a polarizing effect, and not just us and them. It splits up the board community. If it seems like I’m being to soft and sappy towards the moderation it’s because I’m trying to be more soft and sappy. It was a bad thread closing and a stupid unofficial warning, is this where I want to pick my fights though?

Have fun.
PS: Una, thanks for grabbing that cite, that’s what I meant to say earlier.

Like fuck I don’t.

No, the questions about why the thread were closed were stupid, the complaing about TubaDiva being “snarky” are baseless and harmful. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

By your logic, any complaint about the mods is valid. After all, we don’t get to decide what’s “nothing” for other people, right? Or was that a special case just for me?

No, you don’t. When you post your opinion on these boards, you are inviting comment on that opinion. If you post your opinion in the pit, you are inviting… let’s call it “vigorous” comment on your opinions. You’ve been around here long enough, you should know this already.

This sense of entitlement is really obnoxious.

lobstermonster, I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to address your post until you can come up with something with more teeth than “fartface.”

Address this, poopyhead.

You’re killing her buzz man.

:slight_smile:

So calling TubaDiva out for being snide or judgmental in her modding is inherently baseless and harmful? We cannot point out her needless snarkiness without harming the board? That is just… absurd. Almost fascist, even. I can’t believe you said it, and can somehow deny charges of sycophancy with a straight face.

Not any complaint is valid, but people are entitled to question mod decisions. If a complaint is total bullshit, I imagine it will die pretty quickly. This is not one of those situations IMO. Several people think this situation warrants some questioning and explanation. In this case, I happen to agree. You disagree, and think the whole line of discussion should be shut down. That seems pretty dictatorial of you. Why not allow the questions to be asked and maybe answered?

That is NOT what you meant by “you people.” You’re trying to weasel out of it here, but you were lumping me in with people who habitually go after the mods for every little perceived slight. I am not one of those people. I actually, sincerely think this situation is weird, noteworthy, and should be explained. I am not trying to stir up shit, undermine the board, persecute hardworking mods, or whatever else you are obviously implying with your “rusty implements” comment. If I feel, as I clearly do, that this issue is significant, and I really want to know what’s going on, do you think you have a right to shut me down? Or to accuse me of trying to fuck up the board? Because I find your attitude here totally ridiculous, and I don’t get it.

People on this board are ENTITLED to fair and civil treatment. We are ENTITLED to ask questions about warnings and thread closings. Your desire to suppress questioning and inquiry here is just bizarre and totally wrongheaded, IMO. You’re overreacting, big time, to what has been just people wondering wtf happened in that thread. Relax, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of it. You don’t have to watch if you don’t want. Fartface.

When she’s not doing any of those things, yes.

Right. Me thinking you’re whiny is just like being a Nazi.

Dictatorial? Jesus. At least you’re consistent in your complete lack of perspective. That counts for something, I guess.

And that concludes our crazy ranting portion of your post. Let’s move on!

And that’s what you got. The problem I have, is where you’re still complaining afterwards.

And that’s what you did. And the thread was re-opened. The problem I have, again, is where you’re still complaining afterwards.

You’re calling me a fascist dictator, but I’m the one who’s over-reacting? Right. Sure thing.

Aren’t you adorable.

Good Lord!!

Do you fellate vagrants with that mouth?