CajunMan and TubaDiva

OBVIOUSLY there are several people who do care. You’re not one of them. Cool. Don’t open the thread. But why castigate people and call them stupid for asking the questions?

He got a finger in his face for no reason. I think he was misused. You don’t. So :rolleyes: right back at you for trying to suppress discussion on a topic that you have no interest in, but others do. What is your problem with people wanting to know what happened and why? Or to want TubaDiva to keep her snide and unnecessary personal commentary out of her modding?

With much snottiness from TubaDiva in both threads. Was it necessary?

My skin is plenty thick, as you know. I don’t think mods and admins should be closing threads for no reason and handing out unwarranted warnings, and then copping an attitude when supposedly redressing errors they made. I know, it’s so wrong of me to expect them to be fair and civil.

What an utterly lame rationalization that is.

I find it interesting that you have trouble folliwng “these sorts of internal interweb drama things” but nevertheless wade right in to call people bitches. Assuming that was directed at me (which isn’t entirely clear): Right back atcha, sunshine.

People want answers, sure, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t consider letting something go for once, for chrissakes. The guy closed the thread because it was IHO tasteless. He’s a generally good guy, does a good job moderating, but maybe he made a mistake. He’s decision is overruled; the thread is reopened. Is that good enough? Fuck no! Not until explanations are provided and a pound of flesh extracted. He hasn’t explained. His tone was objectionable. Tuba’s tone was objectionable. Jesus Christ, they fixed the underlying problem by re-opening the thread. They just didn’t do it acceptably.

I can see Sarafeena’s position; I would probably feel the same when confronted by someone who can’t do the right thing graciously. I just would give at least partial credit for doing the right thing, even if gracelessly. And I would try to step away from my sense of injury to decide if this is really a battle worth picking. IMO, it isn’t. YMMV, of course.

It refers to an act of religious penitance. From Daniel 9:3

“And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes.”

It comes from the Old Testament of the Bible. To “don sackcloth and ashes” was an ancient Hebraic form of mourning or repentance. It made your repentance obvious by what you were wearing and looked like (in clothes made from the material sacks were made of, with ashes on your head and face). Now, it’s a metaphor for requiring someone to publicly and explictly apologize or repent.

Oh, god stuff, no wonder I had no idea.

Thank you for the explanation.

or crazy people. FWIW, I don’t think the original thread should have been closed. It’s up to Cajunman to come back and explain (to the OP) why the warning at the end of his post. Hamfisted? How so? AFAIAC, TubaDiva did what was asked–she reopened the thread. Why keep the complaint thread open when the REAL thread is?

To quote the Master: I think some of y’all could find something suggestive in a dial tone.

It’s not that big of a deal. If Cajunman demonstrates a pattern of this-then perhaps other avenues should be explored re complaints. This is a one off. Go find some tourists to have sex with and post in the Flag thread! :wink:

Please tell me when it became policy to close threads that are tasteless, and give strongly worded warnings to people who post them? Didn’t it seem surprising and somewhat troubling to you? It was weird. People want to know what happened. Why not let them ask about it, maybe get a clarification about how things work around here?

And maybe this is the root of the problem–from my perspective, it’s not a battle. It’s just questions. Personally, I’m really curious about how the whole thing happened. I also think that the mods and admins should try, when doing their jobs, to be civil and fair, and when they’re not, it’s not wrong to call them on it.

OK, I’m jumping back in here to defend myself. I believe I DID give partial credit. To quote myself from my first post in this thread:

This is best advice I’ve heard yet. In fact its the only advice that has ever in my entire life almost convinced me to drop something. But I never had a problem looking like a crazy person. I’m the person that writes a letter every week to businesses about my moral outrage. I’ve been kicked out of more bars and cabs than I can count. I go from zero to outrage pretty fast but those who are willing to be my IRL friends just find it hilarious at this point. So I encourage not dropping this even if it seems trivial. Answers! Answers from bitches!

…expect a thread pitting hangovers tomorrow…

Actually, I said the questions are stupid. I don’t think I’ve called any other posters stupid yet.

Because threads about mod conduct are public issues. How the mods respond (or do not respond) to the complaints in this thread could impact how I interact with the boards. I don’t want to see the moderation of the boards changed to cater to complaints that I feel are baseless or stupid.

Sarahfeena, you have nothing to defend, IMO. I suggest merely that we would occasionally do better, collectively, to let things go but, sweet cracker sandwich, we Dopers have trouble doing that. But you were never in the wrong IMO and please do not believe that I think you were. I’m sure my perspective on how this thread, and the other thread, and the other thread sound, would be different if I was inside, as you were, and not outside, essentially just passing by. So I will bow out, only apologizing if I led you to believe I took issue with your sense of injury; I don’t.

Thanks, Jodi, I appreciate that.

How was TubaDiva insulting?

Okay, I can sort of see it here, since she expresses her disdain for this sort of threads. But it’s not much worse than “I don’t like it, but if you want to do it, I can’t stop you.”

Here I really can’t see it, though. She just points out that while people are still complaining about the closed thread, it’s now been reopened, so there is no purpose to the discussion anymore.

I guess it’s true that TubaDiva just can’t win, whatever she says will be analysed and found insulting by dozens of people.

Maybe Cajun Man should come back and explain his reasoning for closing the thread, and what his (unofficial) “warning” meant, if it can defuse the situation, but it’s clear that, the thread having been reopened, the discussion would be moot anyway.

A professor of mine in grad school used to have this written on his door:

“Always remember, and never forget,
It takes a very large dog to weigh a tonne.”

I think that applies here. This just isn’t that big of a deal for folks to get riled up at each other.

Rock on,** lobster.** (avoids posting boiling made joke here)

I don’t think any of you are truly crazy, btw–that was just an expression.

You could have at least made a B-52’s joke.

How would it affect your interaction with the board if CajunMan explained why he closed pizzabrat’s thread? Closing threads for being tasteless or tacky is not a policy here; and if kissing and telling is not OK, damn, how many threads should have been closed throughout the years? If you acknowledge that the thread closing was an error, then how could addressing that error and explaining what happened be baseless or stupid? How could officially rescinding that warning be a bad thing?

Really, your reasoning here is a bit silly, because ultimately, very little will come of this thread, and everyone knows it. You could easily ignore it and let people ask their questions and maybe get answers without casting aspersions on the act of asking the questions. What it comes off as is apologia and sycophancy, and an attempt to shame/shout people into not questioning or calling out rude behavior. Why do you need to do that? I realize that sometimes these threads just turn into mod bashing, which is not productive. But I don’t see that happening here.

And I notice you haven’t defended TubaDiva’s posts. I think it would be a positive change in how the board is moderated if she admitted that she was snotty and cut it out. I realize this will likely never happen, but a girl can dream.

I actually thought TubaDiva’s post was more stupid than insulting.

“I agree with Cajun Man that it’s not nice to kiss and tell…”

WTF? How does detailing the nationalities of people you’ve had sex with constitute “kiss and tell”? If people were mentioning names or some sort of more specific information, i could maybe understand the concern, but it’s not like the identities of innocent parties were being revealed here.

And if simply revealing some details about one’s own past sexual exploits constitutes inappropriate “kiss and tell,” well i guess we better ban all discussion of sex.

Well, it’s basically a “list the nationalities of people you’ve fucked or sucked” type thread right? It’s not one that really holds my interest at all, but I guess I can see how some people might peeved by it. I’m not saying that this justifies a closure by any means, but perhaps a well worded complaint message seemed to be more sensible to CM than just letting it stay open. Especially considering that the OP himself called it “Prurient and tasteless”, perhaps CM thought the thread wouldn’t really be missed. Obviously either he, TD or TPTB decided that it was an acceptable thread and somebody reopened it.

I doubt that either CM or TD will do much in the way of satisfying the demand for explanation or apology, but I think an official retraction of the warning is needed.

(bolding mine)

*Your mod? * Since when does **Cajun Man ** actually work for TubaDiva? In fact, last time I checked, they’re all supposed to be volunteers under The Reader. Forgive me for appreciating that.

Thats’s really up to the moderator of each forum. Sure there are plenty of threads which are tasteless, tacky, and/or prurient; but once again, it’s up to the forum moderator. Keep in mind, we have had members banned for simply being too TMI.

In the case when the SDMB membership views the thread closing a slight, then they will due so by being vocal about it. That was the case here. Problem solved.

(Please note, the quotes are from two seperate Rubystreak posts. I swear I’m not trying to single her out, it’s just those two points I wanted to give MHO)