Calenture and not walking on Grass

I’ve heard of the story of becalmed sailors who are dying of thirst imagining that the sea is a meadow and plunging into the ocean. I think it’s called Calenture. Is this a real thing? Does this go back a while or is it a modern romantic invention? I also noticed the Navy (RAN) gets touchy about walking on grass. Apart from being a dick move, what is the origin of this. Is it related to Calenture?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Calenture is a term for delirium produced by heatstroke in the tropics, particularly in sailors, but as far as I know does not refer specifically to a hallucination about grass.

A lot of organizations don’t want you walking on the grass. I can’t imagine that the Navy’s prohibition has anything to do with hallucinations from centuries ago.

The US Army is more than touchy about walking on the grass in a cantonment area. This has nothing to do with Calenture, and everything to do with the fact that walking on the grass destroys it. Also, walking on the grass usually involves cutting corners and/or taking short-cuts. This laziness and lack of discipline is highly discouraged!

Calenture entered English in the late sixteenth century, and it did orginally refer predominantly to a delirious fever which would lead sailors to leap into the sea. But it fairly soon expanded in meaning to include not only any kind of fever or delirium, but anything which might be called a fever by analogy - a burning passion, ardour, zeal.

Yes, I’m sure the military frowns on people finding innovative ways to solve problems which save time, money, and effort.

Do you have first hand experience in the military? Bear_Nenno does.

Then he’d realize I’m making a joke based on the common perception of the military.

So did the sailors confirm that they were going for a short stroll on rolling meadows, or did they just plunge in and people make up stories about their motives?

Only reason that I assumed a connection is comments from other defence members making fun of navy to the tune of “they’ll toss a life preserver at you”.