California I.D. card/Driver's license question

I got an I.D. card in 2000 and it says it expires this year on my birthday in November. I haven’t received a renewal form by mail. Am I supposed to go in person to renew and take a new picture? I also have a question about my driver’s license. I had a provisional driver’s license from 2001-2003…I renewed it in 2003-2008 without taking an exam or road test. Do I have to take a road test or paper exam in 2008 when it needs to be renewed again? Does it get renewed again by mail if I have a good driving record?

This question has a factual answer.

Moved from IMHO to GQ.

I’m confused.

In Kalifornia, the “provisional” license is a license issued to teens 15 1/2 to 18 years of age. This license restricts you from driving without an adult in the car and is non-renewable. Back in the dark ages when I got my license, it was called a “learner’s permit.”

Any other information you can give us?

Seems like a lot has been changed since I started driving.

Like not using horses, for instance…

From the California DMV website:

So it looks like you’ll have to go take the test.

I have 2 questions:

1. I have an I.D. card from the DMV. It expires on my birthday this November. Do I wait for something in the mail to renew or do I go in person to renew it. It’s just a card for identification purpose only.

2. My driver’s licence expires in 2008. I’ve already got it renewed once by mail. Do I get a second chance to renew by mail when it expires again?

Dunno for sure, but I suspect you need to if you didn’t get a renewal form. Have you checked the DMV website??

[QUOTE=PinkShoes}2) My driver’s licence expires in 2008. I’ve already got it renewed once by mail. Do I get a second chance to renew by mail when it expires again?[/QUOTE]

I think you do, unless you had some tickets. Again, check the DMV website.

I suggest, though, that if you have the time you bite the bullet and go down to the DMV. With an appointment, you’ll probably be in and out real fast. I just renewed my driver’s license. It was due next summer, but the photo is so old, people weren’t accepting it as id! I got an appointment; it took me 10 minutes start to finish.

How many chances do I get to renew my license by mail if I don’t have any traffic tickets?