Calling all Cooks--Help!

Got this recipe from a student when I was student-teaching…so easy and the kids love it because it isn’t weird…

Tater Tot Casserole

In a baking dish, place in layers
1lb ground beef, browned
1 small onion, diced
1 can peas, drained
1 can cream o’ mushroom (or celery) soup, undiluted

Usually get two layers…then top with Tater Tots (or generic equivalent) Bake at 350’ for one hour. I’ve substituted corn, put don’t use frozen veg unless you precook it.

It’s not gourmet, but there are never leftovers

In an attempt to redeem myself for my clueless double-posting of yesterday, I will generously share my grandma’s recipe for the yummiest sweet-and-sour meatballs this side of Heaven (or at least the turn-of-the-century Austrian partition of Poland, where her family is apparently from):

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup cooked white rice, preferably sticky short-grain type
1 onion, finely minced
1 raw egg

Mix the above and form into meatballs; saute in oil and set aside.

Sauce:
1 large can (28 oz.) plain tomato sauce
1/2 of a 15-oz. can of WHOLE BERRY cranberry sauce
1/2 cup golden raisins

Seasonings, to taste (although you’re going for an overall subtle effect; don’t overdo it!):

Salt and pepper
Mixed Italian seasoning (if desired; not 100% necessary; can include basil, oregano, thyme)
Fresh garlic
Fresh or powdered ginger (required)
Sweet spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg (any or all, but in moderation)
I usually throw in 4-5 pods of cardamom

Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for at least 1 hour, or until cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. I usually serve this over white rice, with some kind of plain green vegetable or salad on the side. Make lots; leftovers freeze well. Sorry for the imprecise directions, but you know how grandmothers are!

Yes I am late, but for your next hamburger adventure:

Hamburger Pie

· 1 small onion chopped
· 1 lb ground beef
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/4 tsp pepper
· 1 can green beans drained (I use the french style)
· 1 can tomato soup
· 2 cups mashed potatoes (instant works great)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cook onion in a little oil until soft; add beef and brown.

Pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Add seasonings*, stir, then add beans and soup, stir up well. Flatten out the top then layer the mashed potatoes on top*.

Bake for 30 minutes.

6 servings.

• I add in fresh garlic to the onion and vary my recipe as I want. Usually I add some oregano, basil or whatever suits my fancy at the time. I also like to add a thin layer of shredded sharp chedder cheese to the top. If I add the cheese I usually cover it lightly with foil then take off the foil during the last 10 minutes. With the garlic and spices addition man your kitchen smells good and it’s so easy.

Scarlett, Motorgirl, Ike, thanks for introducing me to it. Bloody lovely. Mrs jjimm was so delighted with it that she had two portions.

Someone please post a recipe for “good luck”, I could use some right now.

My household carnivores are rather fond of a South African dish called ‘babotie’. There’s a recipe for it here: http://www.sacsas.com/recipes/bobotie.html

You can tart it up by using minced lamb instead of the beef.

Hmmm, I thought this was a roundup of all the insane people of the sdmb…

This is what happens to a persons language skills when they are living in a foreign country so long…hehehe
now i’m hungry

I don’t know the name of this:

1/2 cup onion (garlic can also be added)
1 lb. ground beef
2 cans Van Camp’s Spanish Rice (substitute at own peril)

[ul][li] Saute onions[/li][li] Add ground beef and brown (drain if grease is excessive)[/li][li] Add spanish rice[/li][li] Let simmer until completely heated.[/li][li] Serve with garlic bread[/ul][/li]
Feeds many and leftovers are even better than the 1st go-round. :slight_smile: