Calling Rue DeDay (or SURPRISE! It's Rue's Monday Morning Post!)

Everything’s fine… no one was going through your garbage or anything like that while you were gone, if that’s what you were thinking. Sheesh, who would accuse a guy of something like that?

WOO HOO!!!

I got a postcard from Rue!! It would have been better to actually meet him and get some IRL Rue huggin’, but what the hey… I’m touching something he touched. I believe I shall swoon…

I gotta Ruecard!! I gotta Ruecard!! I gotta Ruecard!!

:smiley:

Hmph. I’m STILL very bitter that I live WAY out of the Serial Dopefest radius.

Damn West Coast.

Anyway, Rue, last week I went to my 10 year HS reunion near Anaheim, and stopped by Disneyland (well Downtown Disney, not actually in the park). I thought of you & yours as I saw all the Mickey Mouse stuff & people going to & from the park.

Hope you had a great trip.

And one of these days I’m going to get myself to a DopeFest. Just probably not one that you cool folks are at. Dang it.

Just a friendly Monday morning bump.

Shib, I dropped an email to you on this, but I wanted to throw it out here for the masses: is the whole point that y’all want to hit as many individual Doper locations, or would it be to your benifit if some folks rallied in a few key places. I had mentioned kidnapping Superdude and heading to Lexington, meeting up with the lovely and talented Ellen rather than force you crazy kids to drive from there to here, but, if that’s the point, then I’ll just stay here (though I might still throw Super a burlap sack.)

Your call, it’s your show and I’m just happy to be a bit player.

thinksnow, the idea was to spread as much Dopefest style cheer to as many people as we could by getting to different places. We were hoping to frighten some newbies and get around to some shut in Dopers. Sort of like Meals on Wheels. We could just turn it into a Dopefest, but then we might as well do it in Cincinnati and make Ellen come to us. But where’s the fun in that. We were also kind of hoping that other Dopers could show us just what was interesting in their neck of the woods (Did you know I have a membership for the Louisville Zoo?) Or we could just do the whole thing in Lexington. My idea was to start in one direction and go around in a bit of a loop until we ended up back home. Along the way we considered kidnapping, er, I mean giving a lift to other Dopers to take them to the next stop. [sub]and then leaving them there[/sub]

Anyway, we have a few weeks yet to find out who is where, who wants to be visited, who is seeking a restraining order, see if we can flush a couple of newbies out of the woodworks, see if we can get scout to fly out from the Coast, see if Sophie can still make it or is going to shy away, etc. We’ll see what happens.

If there are several simultaneous mini-DopeFests, we could hop from one to the other.

Lexington, Louisville, Dayton could be a loop. (Yes? No? Shibb whadda ya say?)

Is there anyone out there wanting to put up with us for a bit? (Shibb’s the real draw, the way I see it. I’m the sidekick in this.)
-Rue. (who wants to see the World. In one hour drive chunks.)

Depending on time and participation, we could also do somewhere in Indiana on the way from Louisville to Dayton.

Or we could skip by Dayton and go to Young’s via Springfield, then stop in and visit the hippies in Yellow Springs.

Skipping Dayton, we could hit the Air Force Museum. (I can’t think of a catchy slogan for going to a museum.) Always fun, Dopers learning stuff. (Ooo… big plane…)

Young’s sounds like fun too. Milkshakes for everyone!
-Rue.

Well, Ellen the Hostess would love to have the Dopers come to her in lovely Lexington. Since my house is on the small side, though, we’d have to move the festivities to larger accommodations (no zoo here, alas). I could be tempted to the Louisville Zoo, though, or the Cincinnati Zoo, for that matter (though I’d have to be assured of a warm and sunny day. I hate the cold!)

I would prefer to email about this from now on, if you all don’t mind. I don’t want to discuss too many details about my home and general whereabouts, IYKWIM.

Okay, I get the idea of the travelling yahoo’s on parade.
Thing is, now you’ve got me wanting to tag along just to go to Youngs (mmmm…lemon-custard bull-shake…) or swing by Ha-Ha’s Pizza in Yellow Springs! Nerts.

Oh, Rue, growing up all of five miles from it, a catchy name for the Museum would be “Wright Patt,” though that usually is used for the base, but I’d think you could figure it out. beatle (ringo), Crafter_man and I met up there a few months ago and then shot over to The Dublin Pub in the Oregon District of Dayton for a few beers and some food. Now, if you’re coming from Youngs, that is probably out, but I’m just letting you know.

thinksnow, I think you should come along the whole way, where ever that may be. It would help us draw the LadyDopers [sub]although I still don’t understand the appeal[/sub] and anyone else attracted to hairy bottoms. Plus you seem to know all of these towns pretty well. You could be like Sacajawea to our Lewis and Clark.

I want to be Clark! Lewis’ first name was Meriwether, ewwww. I’ll take Bill, thanks. Bill Clark with the Navel Observatory.

I’d take exception to think’s “travelling yahoos on parade” crack if it weren’t so derned descriptive. But it might scare off a few DoperHosters. Luckily nothing scares Ellen the Brown Eyed Hostess. (There’s some Flan of Peace for you!)

And I knew about Wright Patt (vaguely). Something about Project Blue Book and the resale value of UFO’s. (It used to be a TV show.) I was having trouble coming up with a clever name for Us Going There. (Since “yahoos on parade” is taken.) DoperPatt maybe, but it sounds a little condescending. (There, there, have a DoperPatt. Maybe a WrightDoperPatt.)

We could have a real parade if a few people want to drive. We could drive through towns real slow and honk our horns, throwing candy to the kids. That should go over pretty well.
-Rue.

How about The wRight Dope?

As for flinging candy at unsuspecting children, that sounds like fun, but do you suppose their parents would actually let them eat it, seeing who it’s coming from?

Hey, Rue & think, I’m in. And I’ll bring my Amazing Colossal Eight-Passenger Oldsmobile, so I’ll drive too. Although I’ll tell you right up front there will be no fighting over who gets to sit in the wayback, m’kay?

Anywhere I can crash or can you guys recommend cheap motels for Friday night? It’s something like 9 hours from here to Lexington. I figure I’ll head out from home on Friday morning and get there Friday evening in time for supper (or dinner or whatever you guys call it out there) and join up with whichever leader is closest to where I’ll be.

What say yizz?

Zap!

psssst…Zap, I’m just passenging through this whole wazoomi (that’s a Native American word for “real big thing that should be more fun than buffalo parts on a stick”, Choctaw tribe I think). It’s Shibb who you should be clearing things with.

Or Ellen The Brown Eyed Girl.

Or think, as far as that goes. (think are you a DopeHost or a Travelling Yahoo? Either way has it’s upsides.)

Not that you really have to clear anything with anyone. We’re all equals here. (Or some other sugar substitute.) Just touching base might make the link-up easier.

Any other DoperHosts out there? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? There’s Flan of Peace to be had. (Seriously, this is not a threat, it’s an incentive.)
-Rue.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Zappo *

Does that thing have an eight track player in it? How about a kitchen?

Zappo, you’re just coming straight to Lexington? Why not stop in Cinci and ride with The Boys[sup]TM[/sup] and join in fabulous travelling yahoos on parade? 'Course, with you driving, that sort of leaves things up to you. Oh, and Rue is, of course, correct when he says that Shibb is running the show, I’m just futzing around, mucking up the works. And oh, and if you need to, you can crash at my place in Louisville (a scant hour from Lex.)

I suppose I’m a DopeHost, though I may spend some time as a Travelling Yahoo. We’'l have to play it by ear and see…or hear, as the case may be

[sub]PS: Rue, I caught my mistake the moment after I hit reply, but I was too pleased with myself to print a retraction. In fact, I’m not writing this one, either.[/sub]

Zoos? You guys might go to ZOOS?! ARGH! I MISS EVERYTHING!! I wish I could get in on this, but since I’m way up at the top of the “Wet” Coast, I guess I’m just outta luck. Hey Rue, ya ever get cleaned up from the Cocktail Party? Isn’t there ever gonna be a Seattle Dopefest? Or better yet, Vancouver BC? I think there’s like three of us around here, but all you Yanks could come up. Probably not to my house though, since you could fit the whole thing in most apartments!

How many of us can crash there? I mean, if we bring our own pillows and jammies, of course.

We could hang with Ellen til she gets fed up with us then wing over to see you and Supe. (And Sophie. That would be nice.) Spend the night, and make breakfast (part of the deal, along with the Flan of Peace*), then scoot up to Young’s for milkshakes.

Two day’s of Doper fun!
-Rue.

*I figure if I hype this enough, someone will DoperHost just to find out what the heck this is.

Chumly: Duuuhhhh… gee Tennessee, I don’t know if this is such a good idea. Mr. Whoopie said…
Tennessee Tuxedo: F*ck Mr. Whoopie! I’ll do as I please! Chumly, we’re going to the moon! And pass the Flan of Peace.

I’m not sure what this means, I just remember that particular scene from some episode of Tennessee Tuxedo. Some things just stick with you from childhood. (And I do a great Chumly impression. Even better than my Bullwinkle.)

OK, thanks think! I’ll take you up on that, if you don’t mind. Since I’ll be driving out on Friday to jine up with yizz on Saturday, can anybody recommend lodging/offer crash space?

Sorry, Shibb, we’re talking four-speaker cassette and no kitchen. However, the wagon does have a roof rack, a real tailgate (just the thing for dining al fresco) and a sunroof over the back seat. And gen-you-wine imitation simulated woodenesque paneling on the sides!

Lemme tell ya, no Doper has ever traveled in such style.

Zap!