Camping checklist: tick 'em off here.

I always bring a mobile home.

If you’re not doing a big hike in, bring wet wipes instead of toilet paper. So much more refreshing if you will.

True story. My aunt and uncle were thinking about having kids, so my parents loaned my sister and me, aged at 4 and 7, to them for a camping weekend. My aunt came back and 2 months later had her tubes tied.

This is my kind of camping too but for all kinds I think a standard first aid kit should be key.

I have a travel kit in one of those packing cubes that goes everywhere. I check it before each trip to make sure it’s stocked but it has tiny travel bottles of tylenol and ibuprofen that I refill from our medicine cabinet, gravol, benedryl, tums, bandaids, polysporin and any current meds we need. Since the last trip we took included our first cruise it now also has bonine (YAY unopened!)

The nice thing about keeping the kit together all the time is it’s one less thing to think about when packing. I have a travel drawer where this, all the toothpaste and toothbrushes my dentist gives me, our passports, any foreign cash and any travel size soap and shampoo are kept. 2 mins in this drawer, 5 mins to throw more clothes than I will wear in a suitcase and I can be ready to go. The more time I have the more reasonable my luggage looks :wink:

One other tip for Canadians - whenever we order Swiss Chalet we ask for utensils even though we’re eating at home. Their disposable packages are high quality, packed together and are great for eating on the road and/or lunches for work. I keep a handful of those in the travel drawer too.

All these can be packed quite nicely in a mobile home. :stuck_out_tongue:

Full size even :slight_smile:

And if I can’t go in my mobile home, I’ll pack a somewhat smaller mobile home and go in that!

My mobile home is a backpack. :slight_smile:

I got these from a liston Buzzfeed.

1. Use foam floor tiles for a softer, more comfortable tent floor.
  2. Point a head lamp into a jug of water for an instant lantern.
  3. Bring a tick deterrent. (one part tea tree oil, 2 parts water in a spray bottle.)
  4. Repurpose a plastic coffee can to hold and protect TP.
  5. Use Tic-Tac boxes to store spices.
  6. Use an empty laundry detergent dispenser as a hand-washing station.
  7. Use a belt and hooks to hang up pots and pans on a tree.
  8. Add bundles of sage to a campfire to keep mosquitoes away.
  9. If you’re going to be hiking, use biodegradable trail-marking tape.
  10. Keep the kids busy with a scavenger hunt. (something fuzzy, a seed, a pinecone…)

I would love to go camping, but I can’t sleep without my CPAP, and I think it would be a big pain to camp with it. I miss camping.

OR a coffee cup! (Cupping your hands would hurt.)

Ziplock bags in different sizes. Some of your perishables? Double ziplock them.
Hefty Bags. Its a poncho, its storage compartment, its a trash bag (don’t re-use those last ones).

Drink Flavor Packets! Pour into a bottle of water & its much tastier (YMMV).

A decent quality leatherman or swiss army knife.

One whistle for each person

Extra socks; Wool, not cotton (wicks moisture) and if your feet feel damp, change your socks.

there are multiple old threads on this but there is one thing I must stress: the stuff you take with you will likely get trashed/scratched/scraped.
Please don’t take anything with you that you can’t replace.

Besides your kids I mean (and take them home with you after).

Caffeine addicted REAL campers of either gender will drink it straight from the pot.

The world’s greatest camping wine is Gallo Hearty Burgundy. Coffee is better with a healthy dollop of Christian Bros. brandy added.

Carry large wheat tortillas. That way everything you eat can become a “wrap.”

Kimchi repels mosquitoes, bears, and other campers.

We saw the same list, and have tested a good many of them. #1 is just plain genius! As noted above, we have the dogs in the tent with us, and it makes a nice soft floor for them to lie on (the people have air mattresses), and also keep your feet from feeling every stick or stone under the tent. #2 works extremely well - we have a couple of nice photos by this light. #3 sounded like 100% pure woo, but it actually does work.

#25 (on the BuzzFeed page), on the other hand, is 100% pure bullshit. This one suggests you put a chunk of MatchLight charcoal in each compartment of a cardboard egg carton as a fire starter. Egg carton cardboard is not very flamable, and it holds the pieces of charcoal far enough apart that they never really catch from one another. Someone upthread recommended using a small pile of MatchLight as a fire starter; this works much better.

When I go on backpacking trips, I go to the used bookstore and buy the cheapest copy of a book I’ve always wanted to read but never had the time. Then as I go through the book I use the already-read pages as firestarter. I gain culture and/or education and lighten my load as I go!

Things that come in handy for many different uses:
• rope
• a tarp
•clothespins (alternately: binder clips)
• duct tape
• extra tent stakes
• a rubber mallet
• one of these things
• some sort of dry storage bag

For coffee: French press. Even better: travel french press.

Agreed, French Press works… but use F.P. coffee or you’ll be drinking sludge… lol.

Yes, and if you are a cone-filter coffee drinker, make sure to bring cone filters. I can attest that paper towels do NOT work for this purpose. Eeew!

If you are tent-camping, bring a small broom or leaf rake to clear the needles, leaves, stones, and cones from a spot.

tick hook.

As do I. And I bring my toys along as well. :smiley:

I sent this pic to a friend in Seattle and titled it “70 feet long with 12 wheels… Backpacking, Texas style”.

We buy those dollar-a-dozen glow necklaces before we go camping, and put one on each dog so we don’t lose them in the dark. I don’t camp much, but when I do we usually have about 40 people and five or six dogs on private land that is dark, dark, dark at night. Everybody picks a different color so the dogs are identifiable on sight, and I spend a lot less time wondering where Winchester is.

Also, it’s a pretty light show when they all start chasing each other through the fields.

1. An entrenching tool can come in handy.
    B - A towel (in hot weather, dip it in non-potable water and hang it around your neck for cooling, also useful to fan flames, grasp hot objects, surrender, etc.) cause you’re a hoopy frood.
    III) Dwarf bread (aka C-rations, MREs, something you can eat if you have to that doesn’t require a fire to prepare)
    4th: A P-38 or P-51 can opener on a chain around your neck.
    0101, A ball of C-4 the diameter of a penny can bring a canteen cup full of water to a boil in 5 seconds. (this is where the towel in B becomes useful to grip the handle to pour the boiling water into your other canteen cup so your lips don’t melt when you sip your coffee.