Camping recipe - Pine Needle Coffee ?

My brother-in-law (Dave) recently recounted a story of a camping trip he took with a friend of his (Joe). Joe is an avid camper and outdoorsman whereas Dave is not.

Anyway, Dave recalls that Joe made some amazing brew involving instant coffee and pine needles. I cannot imagine that this is true, but of course good luck proving it.

I’m trying to get to the bottom of this and find out the Straight Dope. So, does anyone know of a way to make a hot drink involving pine needles?

Thanks

Pine needle tea

It’s a good way to spruce things up, I’m sure yew’ll agree. Mind the hemlock, though.

Wood you say it’s good fir a pick-me-up if you’re pining away or just board?

While I’m not pine-ing for it, it tasted oa-k. Being left in the larch by having nothing else to drink, I still prefer birch beer. Willow or won’t somebody agree with me?

“Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible.” --Ewell Gibbons, in a Grape-Nuts commercial.

I always thought it sounded like ol’ Ewell was saying “many farts.” We had a brief flurry of jokes about Ewell Gibbons Toasted Pine Farts.

Anyway…

If you make pine needle tea (previous link), I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to add instant coffee to it. No idea how it would taste, but there you have it.