Can a dog be trained to defecate on command?

Or at least give it a good-faith try?

To immediately stop what it’s doing and go right then and there? I don’t know, but my dog understands a command that basically means “quit playing around and find a place to go to the bathroom, because I’m ready to take you back inside”. In other words, he’ll stop what he was originally doing, and find a good place to go within a couple of minutes of hearing the command.

I saw once on the airline reality show (called, shockingly, Airline) a service dog who was trained to do just that, and the employees had to walk it. It went on “park it”. It wasn’t immediate but the dog did go eventually.

Yes. Both my mom and I use “Go potty.”

Sometimes they just don’t need to go, but they know what you mean to be certain.

That would make for some interesting dogsitting scenarios.

Dog running about house of dogsitter, making general ruckus
“Heel boy, good, sit”
“Alright you can play but be careful”
“Dog romps around uncontrallably”
<repeat several times>
“That’s IT park it mister!”
“What the hell?”

“Shit, boy! Shit! That’s a good dog…”

You would have some trouble with this one. My mom is training a dog to be a service dog, and I’ve found that he has a tough time distinguishing between “speak” and “shake” unless I really stress the beginning of the word. “sit” and “shit” are probably too close.

My brother in law taught his dog to urinate, but it’s not immediate. When he lets him out of the house, he calls “Go pee, Brisket!”, and the dog usually runs somewhere and does his business.

Peeing immediately on command sounds a little too much like submissive peeing to me, and I wouldn’t want to torture a dog by making that a command.

Our command is “do your business”. You start by saying the command when they’re going when they’re little. Eventually they associate the words with the action. Then when you give the command they think “Now that you mention it, I do need to go a little” and they do.

It’s always one of the main thing I teach my dog, when I have a dog; saves time on those really nasty nights. I always used “do your business.”

This Anatolian Shepherd handler at Westminster this year certainly wishes her charge was so trained. (You have to suffer through a commercial, then wait for the 3:00 mark.)

She got BOS, though.