Can a salad, by definition, include animal protein?

Yeah, it was a mistake right from the start.

No, not at all, which I found strange. I mean, if you’re going to be so adamant that you are correct, surely you’d present some sort of evidence to back your thesis, right? I’m thinking that she took great offence to being ‘corrected’ online, realised she was being a dick, and lashed out at me in anger as a way of saving face. Whatever, I have lost no sleep, and will enjoy a meaty salad tonight in my tortilla wraps.

For a thing referred to as just “a salad”, I would say that it has to consist primarily of raw vegetables. You can add in cheese, egg, various meats, etc., but you have to have less of those than the veggies.

You can still have “egg salad”, or “tuna salad”, or “potato salad” or “pasta salad”, or whatever, but you never refer to those without the adjective. If I were eating an egg salad sandwich, and you asked me “How much salad is on that sandwich”, I would assume that the question was referring to the lettuce and tomato that might (or might not) be on top of the egg salad.

Sayre’s Law: “In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake.”

IAW the Cube Rule of Food the following foods are clearly salads:
Steak, mashed potatoes, and spaghetti. The person you were arguing with is wrong.
Also, poutine, chocolate and soup in a bowl are also salads (wet). Soup in a bread bowl is quiche.

In finnish “salaatti” means both salad and lettuce but no-one in Finland would IMHO say that a salad cannot contain protein. There is one salad called in finnish “italian salaatti” which is salad of Italy and it contains ham and is sold in almost every food store.

And of course most salads here contain mayo which has egg in it if it’s done properly.

And since “meat” is a word, a word salad can include meat! QED.

(Sorry, I know that isn’t what you were saying, but it’s how I read it)

I looked up a favorite restaurant’s menu that I knew had a lot of soup and salad options… and BAM!

Every. Single. Salad. Had. Meat.

(most came with grilled chicken, a couple of tenderloin options, bacon on a couple, and a nice salmon salad)

Q E frickin’ D!

It’s similar in Polish and Hungarian. In Polish, lettuce is sałata and in Hungarian it’s salata. (It may be a bit hard to see, but the Polish has a little strikethrough through the l. The neighboring Slavic countries I believe all use the same or similar word.) So it can just refer to lettuce. But, in both those countries, there are plenty of salads that contain meat. In those countries, it seems anything bound together with mayonnaise qualifies as a “salad” of some sort. Like both countries have some form of “ham salad” with ham, potato, onion, diced gherkins, and mayonnaise. Polish has a pickled herring salad with herrings, peas, carrots, onion, mayo.

So in the food of the cultures I’m familiar with, “salad” can include animal protein, for sure.

I like the Thai steak salad called Yum Nuah. My wife makes the best. So what is Pittsburgh style? Is it worth me driving from Cleveland?

I’ve heard the term “Pittsburgh style” (a.k.a. “Pittsburgh rare” or “black and blue”) applied to steak – it means charred on the outside, but rare (to extremely rare or even raw) on the inside.

Yeah, I assumed the joke was they just want pretty much a raw steak, charred on the outside, served in thin slices as a “salad.”

According to the internet, this is steak salad Pittsburgh style. French fries are involved.

No salad is complete without fries!

It warms my heart to hear such a thing actually exists.

ETA: I also like how the recipe calls for reduced calorie ranch dressing.

Damn that looks good. Myself, I would nix the croutons and instead of fries use tater tots myself. Maybe I just invented a thing, the Amigo Salad!

Fries.

I remember ordering a steak salad in an airport restaurant somewhere, and when it came without fries, I was shocked.

Medieval salads (that we have recipes for, that were called some variety of “sallet” or “salat” or similar) were generally meatless, as were earlier ones though not called that, but from Tudor times on, they had at least eggs in them.

A proper Caesar salad has anchovies and egg yolk. I have never heard anyone argue that a Caesar salad in not a salad.

Ergo, salads can include animal protein.

What about eggplant salad? The eggplants are fried.

I was leaving it implicit that a salad is composed entirely of food. So that rules out eggplant salad.