Can a salad, by definition, include animal protein?

What about potato salad?

Or Solid potato salad!

Sure, go ahead - alienate the entire Mediterranean Basin. See how that works out for you.

…and then there’s Salad Niçoise!

Well, I guess that is better than Cincinnati-style chili but I still wouldn’t put french fries on salad. There are some weird culinary trends that follow the Ohio River; it must be something in the water.

Stranger

I assume that a spammer revived a wilted salad thread and got cornfielded. But why a salad thread?

So this thread is a year old and I stumbled on to it for whatever reason it was on the front page, and I’m sitting here drooling over all these delicious salads and “salads”. But also, I was just having a conversation with my parents a couple hours ago about bacon bits and we talked about how “Bacos are cancelled. People don’t put up with that shit anymore.”

Weird, man.

The deli counter at the grocery store I work at sells a salad made of cold cooked peas, bacon, cheddar cheese, and mayo. No raw vegetables in there either.

Do people…eat…that?

Stranger

I’ve ordered it once or twice. It’s not bad, but it’s too rich to have more than a few bites.

Absolutely. For me a Tuna Salad or Chicken Salad is a salad of lettuce and other mixed salad vegetables with Tuna or Chicken mixed through and a light dressing.
Those globs of protein mixed with mayo and a little celery and/or onion mixed through are an abomination.

Standard side salad in a pub with a steak and chips would be some lettuce, red onion, cucumber, tomato, maybe a bit of grated carrot and a light vinegary dressing.

I do like a Thai Beef Salad or a Chicken Caesar for a light lunch, so yes of course a salad can contain animal protein.

Example of a real Tuna Salad.

Personally I’m irked by the likes of serious carbs being stuck in there, it seems to be standard in most pre-prepared salads in the UK now. Rice, Potato, Pasta and Cous-Cous has no place in a salad. Much less than meat, which is the lead singer in the salad rock band.

Also, “Potato Salad” isn’t salad. It’s “Mayotato” they don’t call Chicken Mayo “Chicken Salad”.

Wait, what?

Yeah, that proves that you 'mericans will call any old crap a salad.

I don’t know if this conclusively answers the question in the OP or not but last week I bought a salad kit in the grocery store that was labeled “plant-based” salad.

Yeah, but as I mentioned in post #29, that’s hardly exclusive to Americans.

There’s a big difference in meaning between “a tuna salad” or “a chicken salad,” which is what you describe, and “tuna salad” or “chicken salad” (without an article), which are substances/concoctions of their own (often used as sandwich filling), as in the recipes @madmonk28 linked.

Hell, swap out the cheese for diced green onion and serve warm and it’s our standard salad at Thanksgiving.

This is why I spend Thanksgiving hiking somewhere remote.

Stranger