Can Alyson Hannigan play the flute?

Just curious. I know that she could play the flute in American Pie (“this one time at band camp”), but while re-watching an episode of “Touched by an Angel,” she is again playing the flute. Holding it properly, on the “home keys” where her fingers belong, in order to play in the bottom register, as she does.

I play flute myself, and she’s got her tune down pat. At least, if I’m reading her fingers right. Question: Can Alyson Hannigan really play the flute?

She can play the clarinet.

If she can play the clarinet, then she can play flute. All woodwinds are based upon the same principle, which is a little too complicated to explain here. But if she knows her clarinet fingerings, and can blow across an opening (like we all like to blow across a beer bottle), she’d be fine on flute.

I can play a number of instruments, but I love flute.

How are you with spoons?

Excellent. I’ve played with bands in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and Ontario. We’re talking the Barra McNeils, Great Big Sea, and the Irish Descendants. All on spoons, of course.

I played with the Tuesday night jam at the Auld Triangle in Halifax. I played on the Smallwood, going from North Sydney to Argentia.

I played with Stompin’ Tom, way back when,

Yes, I can play spoons, hence my username. Also, my nickname in real life: “Hey Spoons, can you pick me up after the show?” Yeah, sure. Always remember that I am Spoons. The dumbest nickname ever, but it’s mine, and I can prove it. And frankly, I like it.

Wow. Assuming you’re serious…do you also play bones?

The only time that I ever saw spoons played professionally was years ago when New Zealand band Split Enz member Noel Crombie played them. I saw them many times. The band featured the Finn brothers Tim, and Neil who later formed Crowded House. Noel’s feature is at about 3:30 in this clip:

Split Enz -Woman Who Loves You & spoon solo 77

If you have lips and fingers you can play the flute, but that doesn’t mean Alyson Hannigan or anyone else is any good at it.

That’s kind of like saying if you have fingers you can play the piano.

mmm

Sometimes not even that. I’ve known some piano players with paws.

I have to disagree with you there, if only because that was also my dad’s nickname (and vanity license plate).

It’s not even the dumbest nickname based off stuff you’d find in the kitchen. Certainly well below “knives” but way better than “spatula” or “egg timer” or “Dutch oven.”

No. I’ve tried many times, but I just can’t get the hang of them. A friend does, though, so I’ve had plenty of chances to try. Never mind, I’m happy to stick with spoons.

@Spoons, I just have to ask, is your favorite song “Spoonman”? :wink:

His favorite superhero is The Tick.

Does she stand on one leg while she plays the flute?

It’s unlikely that Allison actually played the flute in that or any other episode. More likely, she wiggled her fingers and made blowing motions, and they dubbed in a professional studio flutist (flautist?) in post-production. It’s way easier and less expensive to do that in one take than cross you fingers and hope even a talented amateur can play a piece right in one take.

One of my favorite Japanese movies is Swing Girls. The actors actually learned to play the instruments for the movie. But then after the movie was a big hit they had the actors play an actual concert. It was pretty painful.

From the movie:

From real life. (Skip about halfway through):

It’s “flautist.” I’ve never known a flute player to refer to themselves as anything but. Including me; I play the instrument, and studied it for years. In addition to spoons, as alluded to upthread.

You make a good point about blowing motions and wiggling fingers, but as a flautist, I can tell you that there is a certain way to blow, and a certain way to wiggle your fingers. She’s got it all, from what I’ve seen on screen. Mind, she could easily be taught what to do, to make it look like she’s actually playing; and she’s playing in the bottom register, which is the easiest to play in (my experience, anyway).

A silly question, I suppose. But I’m curious. Does anybody know?

I would say that if she did really play the flute it would be knowledge available online, considering it’s an instrument that is such an iconic part of her career. I can’t find any mention of it.

But like you surmised, if she can play the clarinet, and if she was given some flute lessons for the American Pie role (she is seen playing it onscreen), then that’s the extent of it.

By the way, Alyson will turn 50 next weekend.