Can beets be fried?

Beets are an interesting root vegetable. I only see them show up in cold onion and beet salads in a vinaigrette dressing. There must be other ways Of eating and Preparing them. I could Google recipes and I will,but first I thought I’d ask if anyone has any good beet recipes. Please forgive the random caps. Stupid. Kindle likes to change my grammar.

fry them, bake them.

We make beet “oven fries” by cutting the beets into matchsticks, tossing them in some olive oil and salt and putting them in the oven at 400° for about 20-25 minutes. We got there by trial and error on the time. So I would start at 15 mins or so and check every five minutes or so after, in case your oven is weird.

We also cut up beets along with other root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and add seasoning or sometimes balsamic vinegar and roast at 350° for like 30-40 minutes, I think. I start checking them around 30 minutes and if you can stick a fork in them and they break. They’re done.

Borscht, with sour cream.

I boil and mash white or golden beets up with potatoes. Leave them chunky. Lots of butter, salt and pepper.

I also roast them with fingerling potatoes, sweet onions cut into quarters and big carrots or sweet potatoes.

This, but roast the beets first. Then stick blend them with stock. I used Cook’s Illustrated’s borscht recipe, which, IIRC, callled for something like 450 degrees until you could stick a toothpick easily into them. Add a generous helping of caraway seed (don’t remember if I toasted them or not) and plenty of fresh dill, and it tastes nothing like any other borscht you’ve probably had.

Everything is edible if fried in tempura batter

The half-Scot bit of me thinks absolutely anything can be fried.

There’s also a delicious beet rösti recipe that I love here. Basically, it’s like hash browns or a potato pancake made with beets. Delish!

And, of course, all the borscht suggestions. In my family, we usually do it Polish style, which is a clear red broth, sometimes with little shreds or slices of beets in it, served with meat or mushroom-filled tortellini-like filled pastas called uszka. But the hearty Ukrainian or Russian styles are quite nice, too.

Oh, and while we’re on borscht, there’s a delicious cold version of it that’s great in warm weather. It’s called chłodnik (approx. CHWOHD-neek, with a “ch” as in “loch”) or šaltibarščiai in Lithuanian (the two cuisines where I usually see it. I believe it’s more of a Lithuanian dish, though.)

Beets were one of the veggies that we raised on the truck farm growing up. I’m not the biggest fan, but they are pretty tasty when par boiled, sliced and pan fried in butter.

I like them best sliced and roasted, with carrots, ginger, olive oil, salt, and a dash of cayenne. Tasty and very attractive.

I like beets, but for me, the dye doesn’t digest if I eat more than a bite or two, which freaks me out enough the next day to put me off eating them.

and boil with a pork shoulder or corned beef.
The beets also put the red in the red flannel hash you make with the leftovers the next day.

The white and golden ones are easy to find, and eliminate that issue. So good!

I like them raw, eaten like an apple.

Then there’s borscht, pickled, roasted, mashed…and every other way every one else mentioned. Beets are the best veggie ever.

You seem to be in the same general vicinity as me, but that’s not true from my experience. I know where to find golden beets if necessary, but it’s a drive. And white beets? I don’t even know what the hell those are.

Maybe it’s just a fluke I happen to have stores nearby that carry them. They’re not as plentiful in winter, availability varies week to week, but definitely easy to get all three at the farmer’s markets.

I’ll have to keep a lookout. I go to Whole Foods , Mariano’s, and Treasure Island enough, but I don’t recall ever seeing white beets. I may have thought they were turnips or something, though. But those stores are where I generally find golden beets–it’s not a usual produce item here. Hell, even regular beets are not a guaranteed find.

Australians like to put beet slices on hamburgers.

For either of these, do you peel them first?