Can extensions work for extremely thin hair?

I have thin, fine, wavy to mildly curly Caucasian hair. As far as I can tell, I have not had any hair loss. I remember noticing that I could see my scalp even back in my 20s, and as far as I can tell there has not been much if any further loss - I just don’t and never have had any freakin’ hair.

Well, I had the idea that just once in my life, even though it is only temporary, it would be fantastic to have the experience of a full - or at least full-er - head of hair via extensions. However, I’m not sure I’d be able to hide the clips and wefts of the clip-it-yourself kind, and when I asked my hairdresser about the professionally installed kind, she said my hair was too thin for it.

Is this really true? I thought professional hairdressers had teeny-tiny, itsy bitsy mini extensions they could use? I want volume/fullness, not length. I am not expecting to put in multiple huge clips of 22-inch mermaid hair and be able to cover that.

Anybody have any suggestions for the severely follicularly impaired? I read a lot of stuff on the Internet from people who say they have thin hair, but I think what they really mean is they don’t have particularly full hair, just average to slightly below average. When I say I have thin hair, I am talking you can see significant scalp through my hair in a scattered pattern throughout and even artful combing will not conceal this.

You could get fillers on the top of your head. Fillers are individual hairs, applied strand by strand for overall thickness. They would work to fill out and cover your scalp, then you could get extensions to add volume for the rest of your hair. They do make strand by strand extensions (these come in locks) for very fine hair.

Your average salon probably doesn’t offer services like doing fillers, so you may have to travel to a larger city to get it done. Start googling.

Hmm, I’m in a larger city so I’ll check this out.

I think they’re a bad idea, likely to damage your hair and in the long run make it even thinner.

I used to frequent a message board called the Long Hair Community. They were kinda kooky, kinda obsessed with their hair, willing to try weird things to make their hair longer/thicker/shinier/etc. One treatment several people swore by for both making their hair grow faster, and making it thicker, was putting an anti-fungal cream such as Monistat on their scalp. I never tried it but always thought it was an interesting claim.

And there’s always Rogain.