Can I password protect a folder in Outlook?

I get so frustrated with this stuff sometimes, because the help functions aren’t helpful…

Is it possible to password protect a folder in Outlook? I don’t use Outlook Express, so if it won’t be helpful to know if it’s possible to do so in that application.

If not, what’s the best way to accomplish the goal of password protecting certain messages (ie, making sure someone else who uses my computer can’t access them)? Do I have to create some sort of archive file and then password protect that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Do you mean that the other person would be logging in as you? If not, you can change the permissions on any Outlook folder to include only you.

If the other person is logging in as you, I believe you can password-protect access to your own Outlook profile - even if the person logs in as you, he’d have to enter another password in order to open your Outlook. But I can’t remember how to do this. Before I go looking, can you clarify if the other person is loggin in as you or as himself?

I don’t “log in”. My laptop has Windows XP and I use COMCAST (via cable modem) as my ISP. I just turn on my computer and it’s good to go. Click on Outlook, and it opens, not login required.

You can create a personal folder (.pst file) and password protect it. If you need help creating one, post back with the version of OL you’re using.

You can password protect a personal folders file within Outlook, but not an individual folder.

You need to set up a new file as follows:
Tools - E-mail Accounts - View or Change…

then click on “New Outlook Data File” and choose “Office Outlook personal folders file (.pst)”. Type a name for the file (e.g. John’s secret stuff). Then choose a password, type the name you want to appear in your folders list, and Finish.

The new personal folders file will appear in your “All Mail Folders” window and you can move any messages or folders you want into it.

Thanks. I’ll try that and post back here if I get it to work or not.

I hope this isn’t a stupid question… Where is the “all mail folders” window? I followed your other instructions, but don’t see the window you speak of…

Well, I just discovered that I now have to enter a passord just to open Outlook.

Not that that’s a bad thing, but I didn’t expect that to be the outcome of following the procedure in post #5.

Nope, that’s how it’s supposed to work. As previously stated, you can only apply a password to an entire personal folders file (*.pst), not subfolders (like “Inbox” or “Sent Items”) of that folder.

OK, I’ve got it now. Thanks for the help.