Can I polyurethane on Green wood? I'm building a cane!

It’s a perfectly formed ‘T’ section branch. Originally 5 inches in diameter wittled down to an inch and a half. I weigh 220 and it supports me just fine. before I soak it, it should be completely sanded I presume. And not sanded after…?

If it’s green, the turpentine soak will drive out the sap as the oil is forced into it’s place during the soak, the drier the better before you start out. It’s not best to try and rush this. Sand before hand until smooth.

This will take at least 2 weeks.

It will be very sticky at the end because all the sap will be on the out side.

Take an old cloth with alot of turpentine and rub rub rub until it is shiny smooth. Sand some more with very fine sandpaper, finish with one last oil rub with a soft cloth.

The grain will look darker and stand out more. The cane sounds great, I love the t-cross handle, it’s naturally strong!

Send us a picture if you can.

No problem…I already have great before and afters…I’ll take more when I finish the soak. I’m assuming it must be completely submerged right?

It wouldn’t hurt, either way.

I used to stick 'em in the coffee can and then a week or 2 later turn them upside down.

I did an axe handle like this in 1989 and it’s still as hard as steel.

looks good too, left outside many times.

hmm I’ve used bald cypress, honey locust, and live oak all from the tree with no checking. I used a combiniation of boiled linseed oil and beesway for a rubbed in finish. Worked great, no cracks. If you like and are willing to pay shipping I can cut you a few limbs from my cypress tree.