In the early days following the invasion, the US might have had a better chance to stabilize the country, but we made a whole lot of mistakes (like firing everyone who was in the Baath party, opposing local elections when we didn’t like the candidates, off-ramping divisions after major combat operations were over, not fielding enough translators or Arabists, establishing reforms designed to encourage a free market which instead allowed foreign companies to liquidate Iraqi assets, etc.) and while I hear that we are learning from our mistakes, I fear that our present efforts may be too little, too late. However, I fear that leaving Iraq will lead to some combination of the following scenarios: 1) anarchy and/or civil war leading to a state like Afghanistan in the nineties which will be a fertile breeding ground for al Qaeda, 2) an Iranian puppet state, 3) Kurdish secession with a possible Turkish invasion, 4) stuff I never even thought of.
This puts us between a bit of a rock and a hard place. Is there anything we can do now to turn the situation around? Please give your reasoned answers, or I’ll compare you to Rumsfield. 
My only thoughts would be to draw our forces back to Mesopotamia, stabilize that region, begin a massive public works campaign employing many Iraqis to restore basic services, train Iraqi troops and post them to guard the secured areas, spread out and repeat, while pointing out to the Sunnis that American pullout will make things a hell of a lot worse, especially for them.
I don’t have specific sites, but the following have informed my thinking:
Blind into Baghdad
Cobra II
Babylon by Bus
Licensed to Kill (I am only halfway through)
any articles about Iraq that appeared in the Atlantic in the past two years
Thanks,
Rob