Can JWST pivot to look above the plane of its sun shield?

Every image I can find of the James Web Space Telescope shows it aiming a few degrees above the plane of its own Sun shield on the more tapered end. Can it pivot to look way above this plane, for example perpendicular to the Sun shield?

I understand the Sun shield would need to stay on the Sun side of the telescope. If the telescope can’t pivot relative to that shield, then it is always constrained to look almost perpendicularly to direction of the Sun, and could not look opposite the Sun in its sky. It’d be quite a surprise if that constraint were built into the design to save one hinge motion of about ninety degrees.

Can somebody enlighten me about this?

The telescope axis is fixed relative to the shield. However the shield is sufficiently big that the entire JWST can tilt forward 5º and back 45º, and 5º side to side before the angle to the sun is too close. It can of course rotate a full 360º around its z axis. Overall it can see about 35% of the sky at any one time, and over the course of the year the full extent. There are two tiny patches of sky it can see all year around without issue.

If it did accidentally spin around and face the sun, how bad would that be for the super senitive detectors ? I guess the heating from those rather large mirrors may be an issues if not damage to the mirrors themselves.

It might not be an issue of damage per se; it may simply be that they would be blinded. The JWST sees in the near and far infrared. Even a tiny amount of heating of the mirror could turn it into a floodlight.

If it pointed to exactly face the sun, so that direct solar radiation hit the sensors, it would be toast. Very quickly. This is true of any telescope really. Hubble, ground based telescopes, whatever. The sun will destroy the lot. It is unlikely even the optical chain would survive, let alone the sensors.

During launch the second stage performed a careful back and forth roll motion to avoid overheating the telescope. Clearly it has parts are very sensitive and don’t care to get too warm.

Overall I suspect a failure that had the cold side rotate to face the sun and heat up would probably be recoverable, but may leave some lasting degradation of performance or function. I would imagine the design requirements would include at least some elements to make such a failure less than catastrophic, even if still pretty bad.