Can somebody explain what the Simple Dimple Challenge is?

I tried looking it up and all I found was that it’s supposedly involves dancing to a particular song which is titled “Simple Dimple Pop It”. But I have seen videos which appear to feature other songs.

As far as I can tell, the “challenge” involves a woman sorta dancing while not wearing a lot of clothing. Is that it? Or is there some detail I’m missing which distinguishes a Simple Dimple Challenge from a non-Simple Dimple Challenge?

Had to take a look but wasn’t surprised. You have it. There’s nothing more to it. Doing something stupid in front of a camera is what the youth of today consider a challenge.

I probably should have warned people. If you watch one Simple Dimple Challenge on YouTube, the algorithm will feed you more every day for weeks. YouTube does not understand the concept of a passing curiosity. As far as it’s concerned, if you watch one video, it means you have a deep and lifelong interest in the topic.

I understand why a No Bra Challenge is called that. But what does the name Simple Dimple Challenge signify? Do women get called out for posting a Simple Dimple Challenge and not using the song?

I don’t think there is more to this particular TikTok thing. TikTokking is a lifestyle that requires participation and these little dance challenges provide that opportunity to a broad audience.

As for the song, I saw a couple using that song, assumed the rest would, and turned the sound off. I suppose 6 or 7 went by before I turned the video off too.

How did you find out about this “challenge”?

On YouTube. The first one appeared at random. I assume because it’s a popular thing. It was a short video so I watched it (I have no problem watching a woman dance in a bikini). And as I said above, once you watch one, YouTube will feed you dozens more of the same.

Yeah, that’s how YouTube works.

I’m no expert, but I believe there’s a trend to call this type of viral video trend a “challenge” even though it really isn’t one. It’s just a video of a dance that invites other people to do it and riff on it. The challenge, inasmuch as there is one, is to copy the dance from the video, while adding your own spin to it.

These are quite popular on TikTok with all sorts of songs. I don’t know why this particular one got labelled a “challenge.” It’s more just a dance trend, with people copying a video they liked about a song they liked. It has more in common with, say, the “Harlam Shake” trend from a while back.

Coincidentally, I recently learned about Gill Ellis-Young the same way. I can only assume YouTube’s algorithm decided she’s similar to the news bloopers I had been watching.

No, I’m not posting any links. You’ll understand why after searching the name, and do not do this while at work.

As opposed to the elders of today, who consider it a challenge to send an email or log in to Netflix?

:wink:

I wouldn’t throw stones. I don’t really get the “challenge” thing either, I’m just a bit too old - but it’s not about doing something “challenging”. Originally, it was for things like the Ice Bucket Challenge to spread awareness for ALS, the idea was that when you do it you ‘challenge’ someone else to do it as a well, and that’s how this spreads through different influencers.

Nowadays I think there’s less of the “challenging” someone to do it, TikTok is basically based around doing little memey actions like that.

There is something to what you are saying. These kids have mastered some of the skills needed in the future that a geezer like me will never bother with. And the future communication may be more multimedia oriented than we are used to.

That’s all well and good, but the answer is that Simple Dimple is a trademark of the Fat Brain Toy Co., LLC, and I suspect that what the OP got sucked into was simply Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam, possibly unwittingly facilitated by Tiktok users.

It’s all a Chinese Douyin plot to destroy my superior American brain I tells ya. And you North Koreans are in on it as well. And the Vietcong and Fidel Castro.

From what I can tell, the “challenge” thing is pretty much the internet version of kids in the schoolyard saying “I dare you to…”

I don’t know. Apparently one of these things is called the Ice Cube Challenge and it involves putting an ice cube inside your vagina. Which would be quite a challenge for me.

Sounds rather unpleasant to the owner of a vagina. Not as bad as steaming it, though.

If they had a Brad Pitt Challenge that followed the same rule it would be safer, pleasanter, and more of an actual challenge.

An ice cube, or an Ice Cube? Not the same thing.