Can someone explain the Taylor Swift phenomenon to me?

You know, on paper that isn’t funny at all, but Phil Hartman completely sells it.

I refer you to post 6, which you have not acknowledged. I further point out that you have demonstrated that you apparently have no interest in having your question actually answered, since you have stated that you do not pay attention to the content of her songs and do not wish to.

And I now have Red in my head.

I feel like ultimately this is just a pitting of (those hypnotized) Taylor Swift fans, and is in the wrong forum.

No, you’re wrong. It’s an honest question, and there’s no agenda behind it. There’s nothing more to my question.

…some people like different things.

Then why are you unwilling to listen to one of her songs and pay attention to it? I posted you a link to a lyric video. You don’t even have to use your ears if that’s too much effort.

If you want to learn the weather, first try looking out the window.

Oh, well good then! The answer is that her voice, lyrics, and music are really good from the perspective of her fans.

Fair point. I missed that post, probably due to the presence of so many “WHY DO YOU NOT WANT TO LISTEN TO HER?” posts.

I further point out that you have demonstrated that you apparently have no interest in having your question actually answered, since you have stated that you do not pay attention to the content of her songs and do not wish to.

You clearly have no interest in answering my question, especially since you directed me to another post, which partially did answer it.

Oh, well good then! The answer is that her voice, lyrics, and music are really good from the perspective of her fans.

Same with Boxcar Willie.

I can’t answer your question if you’re not willing to heed my answer. I have provided you with an example of why people like her and you’ve stated that you have no interest in examining it.

Well, I was curious, whether or not the OP was. Not curious enough to have asked the question myself, but curious enough to set the thread to “Tracking.” So I appreciate anyone who tries to give an honest, helpful answer.

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard a very little by her (maybe a couple performances on SNL), and between that and what I know about her, I believe she’s not my type, but thart certainly doesn’t mean that other people are “wrong” to like her. Someone who (as @Smapti said) “puts a lot of her personal life into her songs” isn’t what I look for in music. I understand that many people like to listen to each other talk about their love lives in intimate detail, but I do not (cringe), and I wonder if that’s a big part of Taylor Swift’s appeal.

Hey, I saw Boxcar Willie in concert as a child. Got his autograph. All in all, I think I prefer Taylor Swift.

There is a big variety to her music. Some is fun pop, some is more serious. Some of her early stuff is Country. I’m familiar with almost no contemporary music, but I really like TS.

For a fun one, try this:

For a serious one with a great music video, try this:

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard a very little by her (maybe a couple performances on SNL), and between that and what I know about her, I believe she’s not my type, but thart certainly doesn’t mean that other people are “wrong” to like her. Someone who (as @Smapti said) “puts a lot of her personal life into her songs” isn’t what I look for in music. I understand that many people like to listen to each other talk about their love lives in intimate detail, but I do not (cringe ), and I wonder if that’s a big part of Taylor Swift’s appeal.

Very helpful reply. It seems the answer to my question does lie close to my hunch (referenced by “secret sauce” in my OP), that her lyrics seem to attract (and keep) her fans. That’s great. I still have no interest in reading (or listening to) her lyrics, but it does help me understand what this phenomenon is all about. Thanks.

One of her better, funny Country songs:

And the very catchy aforementioned Love Story:

And just for funsies, here’s the time she teamed up with Def Leppard;

Yep, this is exactly it. She makes incredibly catchy pop songs. I don’t really care all that much for her lyrics (they are ok), but I really enjoy her music - and it’s run the gamut really, from pop country, to 80s style pop, to kind of indie pop, etc. She just knows how to craft a pop song.

That genre-shifting is one thing I enjoy very much about her, and her storytelling. Among my favorites is her song about Rhode Island socialite Rebekah Harkness, who built one of the houses TS bought. [which I saw, weirdly enough, before I was a fan]

I got on the Swift train just a bit starting with “Mean,” a great country tune that’s catchy as hell.

Then the Midnights album dropped, and I was simply hypnotized, and went through her back catalog. The variety of styles keeps it fresh, and there’s something for whatever mood you’re in, whether an uplifting anthem like “You Need To Calm Down” or a deepest depths tearjerker like “Bigger Than The Whole Sky”

Great stuff, and clever lyrics peppered throughout.