This is an e-mail I just received. With all the rumors and inneundos flying about, I wanted to see if this could be debonked before I sent it to anyone.
Anyone have any complaints with any of the claims?
5 FACTS ABOUT THAT FLORIDA COUNTY
1. Claim: 19,000 ballots were thrown out because voters selected more than one candidate for president. This shows people were confused and a revote should be taken.
Fact: 15,000 ballots were thrown out in 1996 for the same reason. Source: CNN Jim Smith, Former Florida Sec of State
2. Claim: The ballot was illegal because Sec. 101.51 of the Florida Statutes provides that the box for selecting a candidate should appear to the right of a candidate’s name. Since the square for punching the computer ballot for Buchanan appeared to the left of his name (he appeared on the right side of the so-called “butterfly” page), the ballot does not comply with Florida law and some legal redress should be given.
Fact: Sec. 101.151 does not apply to the Palm Beach County procedures. Sec. 101.151 provides in pertinent part: “101.151 Specifications for general election ballot-- In counties in which voting machines are not used, and in other counties for use as absentee ballots not designed for tabulation by an electronic or electromechanical voting system, the general election ballot shall conform to the following specifications:…”
“Electronic Voting Systems Act”. This Act was first adopted in 1973 and has been amended frequently since then. 101.5609 Ballot requirements.–
(1) When an electronic or electromechanical voting system utilizes a ballot card or paper ballot which is distributed to electors, the ballot shall meet the following requirements:
Section 6 (6) “Voting squares may be placed in front of or in back of the names of candidates and statements of questions and shall be of such size as is compatible with the type of system used…”
3. Claim: 3407 Palm Beach residents cast their ballots for the Reform Party candidate. Gore allies like Rep. Robert Wexler charge that those votes rightfully belong in the vice president’s column. “These people are mostly elderly Jewish retirees who would never be caught dead voting for a Nazi like Buchanan,” Wexler told reporters Wednesday. Even Buchanan has said those votes don’t belong to him.
Fact: In Buchanan’s 1996 presidential primary, over 4,000 area residents voted for Buchanan.
4. Claim: Proof that the votes for Buchanan were in error is that he received 3407 votes in Palm County while a similar county , Broward, gave him only 790.
Fact: According to the Florida supervisor of elections, Broward County has only 189 members of the Independent Party – Florida’s Reform party. Palm Beach County, on the other hand, has a whopping 14,551 members of the Independent Party. In fact, it has the highest Independent registration in Florida. So as a percentage, Buchanan got almost 7 times the registered independent vote in Broward will getting only 18% of the independent vote in Palm County.
5. Claim: The ballot was confusing and is part of a Republican dirty trick campaign.
Fact: It was designed by a Democrat. It was approved by the local Democrats. It was posted in the local newspaper and in other public places. Every single registered voter in Palm Beach County was sent a sample ballot. Number of complaints reported to the local election officials before Election Day = 0.