Can user names be altered for satiric purposes in the Pit?

I’ve reread the rules but unless I’ve missed it I can’t see a specific rule forbidding it, although I’m not sure whether this board operates under the legal principle of *nulla poena sine lege *, ie no law no penalty, or everything that isn’t expressly forbidden is OK.

So is it cool to alter a name, should I be so minded, or not cool at all?

Name calling is fine, notwithstanding other rules including not altering text in the quote box.

There’s one certain poster who regularly gets his name altered (in the Pit) even by mods.

People often alter names in an insulting way in the Pit. And well-known posters are often referred to by nicknames in other forums. There’s no rule against it, other than no insults outside the Pit.

No, we don’t operate that way.

From the Registration Agreement:

And:

I thought the Catch-22 jerk rule might cover anything left out. :slight_smile:

Thank you, guys.

But, can you alter a person’s name inside a quote box in the Pit?

If we tried to detail all the possible ways to be a jerk, the rules list would be the length of the phone book. We’ve found that the TM are extremely inventive in finding ways to be a jerk that we would never have imagined. :wink:

For the same reason, offenses like “disorderly conduct” and “being a public nuisance” are kept on the books.

I recall getting whapped for using a diminutive of someone’s name, with jocular intent. It may not have been in the Pit but it was in a contentious thread.

That was a GQ thread.

No. Text inside a quote box, including the username, should not be altered.

So you’re saying “the username … should … be altered.”

I see my files are right at hand. :rolleyes:

I’m still trying to figure out what all the buttons do. There’s that one that says “for Marley only” and it’s so shiny it seems like it’d be fun to push.

Go ahead, make yourself famous (at least around here).:smiley:

These 44 cover the waterfront for many Jews.

ETA: Which one(s) would cover OP? Somebody page Dex, speaking of “whatever happened to.”

Previous thread on this topic: