Can we please not do this again (Zimmerman media circus)?

A dumb joke regarding a typo. “Trevon”.

You mean Zimmerman may have been assaulted.

He was in a fight and at one point Martin clearly was getting the better of him, but we don’t know which of them escalated the fight from a verbal altercation to a physical confrontation. Trayvon may very well have lost his temper and attacked Zimmerman but it’s equally possible that Zimmerman started it by punching or shoving Martin or reaching for his gun and panicking Martin.

Neither of us knows who started it or even if Martin was still hitting Zimmerman when Zimmerman killed him.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying either to themselves, us, or both. Only one person knows the answer and that’s George Zimmerman.

Anyway, back to the OP.

I think all reasonable people can agree that it’s intellectually lazy to compare the two cases.

For a variety of reasons I think all reasonable people would have to admit that the prosecutors in the Zimmerman case had an extremely weak case. That’s clearly not true regarding the killer of Jordan Davis.

Jury deadlocked on the charge relating to Jordan Davis’ death.

Guilty on the other 4 charges.

So what happens now? Does he get tried again for just the one count?

I can understand being torn over 1st degree, but second-degree seems like a no-brainer.

Yes, he will be tried again. The jury was likely torn on murder 1 so they mistried even though they could consider lesser counts. I think it gets very complicated for a jury to understand the law on multiple lesser count options when deliberating. At the very least this guy is in for 40-80 years on the first convictions.

Will there be a long, involved, point-free debate in Great Debates over whether this verdict was “just?”

Not likely. The most controversial charge resulted in mistrial. It will be tried again. In the meantime the defendant will be in jail for other crimes relating to this case. What is to debate?

We can debate the outcome of the Danny Bonaduce/ Donny Osmond boxing match, and the fairness of the decision.
http://www.grudge-match.com/Real/danny-donny.html

I share your surprise at the verdict and while you haven’t mentioned it, I strongly suspect if Jordan Davis had been a white guy playing country music the verdict would have been different. It’ll be interesting to see how many of the jurors refused to convict him of murder. Was it just 1 or was it several.

That said, even if the DA doesn’t refile, due to Florida’s 10-20 law, at a minimum Dunn faces three concurrent sentences of twenty years in prison.

If I’m wrong, Bricker or someone similar, feel free to correct me.

The prosecution is free to retry on that count if they wish. It’s not mandatory.

The prosecutor has already said they will retry him.

Not sure what you are on about… The jury convicted on 4 of 5 charges. They couldn’t agree on one. This is hardly walking free for Dunn. I do think that murder 1 was overcharging and that led the jury to mistrial again lesser charges though allowed are harder for a layperson to interpret as alternate choices. The good news is that Dunn will be punished. I’m not sure how much more justice can be served over 60 years mandatory. Add a life sentence to it and it all washes out the same-he dies in prison.

It makes a lot more sense when you look at who posted the OP. There are some people even a clue-by-four can’t help.

Your reading comprehension sucks. I said nothing about him “going free”.

In fact I specifically I said the minimum he’ll face is three concurrent sentences of twenty years due to Florida’s 10-20 laws.

I’m also not sure what makes you think he’ll face “60 years minimum”.

Are you familiar with the how concurrent sentences versus consecutive sentences work ?

I do understand the difference between concurrent and consecutive. It is my understanding that the sentences for each count cannot be served concurrently under 10/20/life laws in Florida. I may be mistaken. Either way, my quibble with what you posted was regarding your supposition that this never would have happened it the music was country music. What a biased remark!

Misspelling. I wasn’t trying to be funny.

Huh?

How was this “a biased remark!”?

We are talking to each other. No need for gratitous quotation marks. If you think that the choice of music would make a difference in the outcome of this trial, you are just as guilty of stereotyping as the people you are railing against.

So then the question remains: you claim Zimmerman didn’t kill Martin. Then who did?