Can you name all 50 U.S. states in ten minutes or less?

I had about seven minutes remaining when I gave up at 47. I knew the other three, I just got tired of not knowing how to spell them (MA, CT, and TN, for anyone that’s curious).

I couldn’t even get the state above me… Idaho? Ohio? DAMN, what was the other one?

I missed, Montana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, New Mexico, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut… And I had to Google spellcheck Hawaii… I should have remembered Nebraska and Iowa

I was really shocked cause I had to guess on MA and TN (PA as well) and got them right on my first try, way to make a smile. CT probably would have been a problem for me if I could think of it, I would have left out the c before the t.

That was fun! 7:05 remaining and I struggled to remember New Jersey and almost blanked completely on Connecticut!

Bingo. It goes with typing fast. At least, I can’t keep my typing speed up if I take the time to proofread as I go. And when I do that with this test, I just wind up with a long chain of states in the text box.

For example, for some reason, I always mistype Louisiana. So when I get there, I’ll wind up with a textbox saying, “louisianna maine maryland massachu” before I realize there’s a problem. And I can’t just go back and delete the extra N. I have to also remove all the extra states.

If space or Enter or something would clear it, I might be able to go faster. Then again, these are words I don’t normally type, so maybe not.

BTW, I wasn’t the only one required to learn this song in kindergarten, right?

(Note, that’s not by the Ray Charles you probably know, so no soulful version seems to exist.)

Nifty Fifty - I’m surprised anyone could learn that song, even if they knew all the states

As a German, this quiz is not quite as easy for me, but I did it a couple of times now. States I routinely miss are Illinois, Wisconsin or Minnesota.

This OP has led to many, many wasted hours of my life - Sporcle is now one of the first sites I check every day. They’ve got really fun quizzes (Name the words from the Star Wars opening crawl? Awesome!!).

I got all 50 in 4 minutes and 58 seconds. But the map made it easy. I know where on the map each state is located. I had a hard time with [del]Massachuss[/del] [del]Massachusets[/del] Massachusetts. Boy, that one is tough to spell.

Fuck. FuuUUUuuuck. I should just go jump off a bridge, or at the very least turn in my American citizenship. I completely blanked on 4… obviously I KNOW them but I just couldn’t think of them. Oh sure I have excuses like the one beer I had before the test or my living overseas for the last year, but no. It’s simply unacceptable. First I can’t celebrate 4th of July properly and now this. God I’m so pissed I could punch a foreigner. Oh wait I’m a foreigner here so I’ll just punch myself. This is seriously the most disappointed in myself I’ve been in like months.

Blanked on Utah, Colorado, Arkansas, and Indiana. Screw everything not on the coasts…keyboard pound.

I can list all 50 in alphabetical order in 25 secs.

Got em all 4 minutes, 49 seconds. Got stuck on Maryland, Arkansas and Indiana.

Got them all in 7mins, although I must have tried 50 different ways to spell Massachusetts (oddly, Mississippi gave no problems) and I was convinced for a whole 30 seconds that Omaha was a state and I just wasn’t spelling it right :slight_smile:

Got them in 2 minutes, 39 seconds. Would’ve been faster but I forgot Hawaii and Alaska for about five seconds and couldn’t figure out why the game wasn’t ending. Oops!

Got them in 4 minutes 21 seconds. My last one (which I blanked on for a while) was Kansas.

yeah. i got them all quick as a wink. but i just couldn’t spell Mssa… MAsse… the Mass state.

Really… it took me about two minute, too! pisses me off! Because of that it took me 4:22!

(oh-- i always wasted about 20 seconds at the end trying to figure why it wasn’t telling me I was done… i looked and looked—I had all the states filled in, dammit!!!
(um no… there’s also Alaska and Hawaii) :smack:

13 provinces and territories is too easy. I bet I could do a creditable job on the 308 federal ridings, though.

I suspect most non-Canadians would have trouble with them, just as most non-Australians would have trouble with the 8 states and internal territories of Australia.

Shouldn’t there be just 3 ridings?

I’d have done it all in 5 minutes but for spelling. As it is, I had to quit with only Tennessee left over.

I spelled Massachusetts, but couldn’t spell Connecticut - that slowed me down. But not too hard with the map if you can type and spell (and know the states - I had a moment of "Its an A state next to New Mexico…what in the hell is it called.)

Now let’s see who can name the 50 states, but going by word length, in under 4 minutes:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/gwukelic/big_words_hurt_my_brain

I missed 4.

I got all of them in 2:25. Yes, I’m American.