Can you really uncapitalize your name?

There is a trend to un-capitalize names, and I’d like to ask publishers, writers and grammarians if this is cool. Cause it ain’t cool with me .

A new show is debuting this fall on Fox called “girls club”. Fox has decided to write its name that way. But names of shows – all shows – are capitalized, yes? They’re proper nouns.

Besides, how do you “honor” the un-cap? Do you write:

** “girls club” is debuting on Fox.** Or do you write:

** “Girls club” is debuting on Fox.** Or do you write:

** “Girls Club” is debuting on Fox.**

This applies doubly to k.d. lang and matchbox 20. But the only way to fight it is to have newspapers and magazines and websites write their names properly. What Ms. Lang writes in her own correspondence is her business.

Is anyone with me on this? Or am I going crazy?
JasonG

What about SDMB user names?

If you ask me, anyone with an uncapitalized username should be shot.

Hey guys! What’re you –

:bang:

OW :crumples and dies:

beeeoooowww…
thunk!
unghh damn AP’s
Aiiiee…
plop

Silly tards.

Usernames should always be in all caps :wink:

And what about those idiots who stick capital letters in the middle of their usernames?

And what about… Oh. Nevermind.

Well if uncapitalized letters piss you off, don’t ever watch MTV, you might have a heart attack…

Or almost any computer-related stuff.

I like to think I’m merely undercapitalized.

in a more serious
vein, the
nonuse of

capitals

(is often a matter of)

poetic
license,

forexamplethepoetryofeecummings

often

didn’t

use

them. for effect

And now, what about these bastards with gasp SPACES in between their names?

In The New York Times, our favorite cowgirl singer is referred to as K. D. Lang and Ms. Lang. Likewise, the poet is E. E. Cummings.

In the Times of London, Patsy Cline’s biggest fan is either k. d. lang or k d lang (this is a country, after all, that spells Mr. and Ms. without the period).

I would rewrite the sentence so that it didn’t start with “girls club”.

If that were impractical or too awkward, I would capitalize the “g”.

It is a little inconvenient, but it really doesn’t make much difference to me. I don’t know if a grammar rule exists for this situation. It seems like grammar rules result from tradition and thus, when new situations crop up it some time before a convention could become universal enough to be called a law. It sucks if you feel pressure to be ‘correct’, but, on the other hand, you could probably do whatever you feel is right and get away with it.

Or what your editor feels is right, as the case may be.

The Chicago Manual of Style recommends capitalizing the first letter of the first word of every sentence without exception. The idea is that the initial capital has to do primarily with the sentence, and not the word. Thus, the manual gives:

“My favorite source is eBay.”

“EBay is my favorite source.”

In that spirit, you should use your second example.

And I assume something like this would be correct too:

PH is a measure of acidity.

Even though that looks so wrong.

[Hijack]Why should Ms take a period?[/hijack]

But does this look more right?

Let’s discuss pH for a moment. pH is a measure of acidity.

It does to me, anyway. I didn’t mean to sound like I was complaining about the rule, but just noting that in order to do this right, you may occasionally have to write something that looks funny.