Canada same-sex marriage vote TODAY!

Dang, and I’ve got to go out now. And no radio in my car, either. Poo.

The division bell has been rung and the vote will be in 9 minutes. Go check out CPAC NOW.

I live in Montreal. :smiley:

The suspense is killing me! Vote is over.

Go Canada!
Assuming this passes, I wonder what impact, if any, it will have on the US. If nothing else, 5 years down the line we ought to be able to say “see, they have it in Canada, and their entire society hasn’t fallen apart”.

Naw, they’re voting on an amendment to refer the bill back to committee.

They are now voting on an amendment: to send the bill back to committee instead of passing it. groan

Chunks of Canada have already had it for two years (this month) and there’s been no appreciable effect on US policy, other than an increased desire for US gays to emigrate to a civilised country.

Massachusetts has had it for over a year, and their society hasn’t crumbled either (at least, as far as I’ve heard). I think what Otto said is probably true there as well.

Re: the amendment. The Nays have it, 158-127. So that last attempt to delay things is over.

And it’s official. C-38 passes 158-133.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

And as it passes, the House is adjourned 'til September. A good day, indeed.

Now it just has to pass the Senate and get Royal Assent,

(oops–hit wrong button) …doesn’t it?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Go Canada!

…I cannot immigrate… I cannot immigrate… I cannot immigrate… must… stick it out… in… America…

So take my hand,
don’t think of complications;
now, right now,
your love
is liberation.

• Pet Shop Boys, “Liberation”

Yeah. Got a rubber stamp handy?

The CBC was saying that there was likely to be debate in the Senate. Of course, it laso said that the Senate was dominated by Liberals…

Who wants cake? :smiley: