Canada the insignificant fart in a windstorm!

Gotta admit Nemo, you set yourself wide open for that one. :wink:

Oh c’mon it’s not that bad. Once old Irv retired the local news isn’t nearly as much fun to watch. I think he was a closet pyromaniac who lit half the fires just so he could have such great lurid headlines to read.

Nope! But only a month and a half (precisely!) until I’m eligible to apply for landed immigrant status! Whee!

(Besides, who am I supposed to have hockey loyalties to, the Milwaukee Admirals? C’mon. I root for teams from anywhere that 1) gets actual natural frozen water in the winter, and 2) isn’t Toronto.)

Hey! I know the significance of that date!!! It’s the day I was born!

So, what’s my prize, and do I have to go to Montreal to claim it? Because I’d much rather go to Banff, you know.

True, but you should hear the complaints anyway.

Then the Admirals qualify, no?

And why hockey, and not lacrosse? Where, oh where, did I go wrong!? :wink:

Well, if you really want to get picky, the only actual provinces on July 1, 1867 were Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, so that’s minus a lot more than just Newfoundland and BC.

Good to see you’re a true Canadian already! :wink:

And all that nasty, undeveloped wilderness. Some needs to put an industrial park there.

Someone needs to… :smack:

Canada? Ooooh, oh, you mean America Jr!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I love Canadia. They gave us the Colorado Avalanche and Patrick Roy! Thanks guys.

There’s really no conversation I try to avoid more than any Canadian whinging about Americans. Really, you know when the unpopular kids in school would go on about “But we know how it really is, yah, we’re gonna make it in the real world, and the skinny pretty girls will do nothing, and besides they’ve got fat ankles.”? It’s like that, but even more pathetic. “Ugh, Americans are so fat and stupid”. Yah, because Canadians are all slender and brilliant, uh-huh. It’s all whiny little brother, all the time.

I don’t love this country. I don’t hate this country. I, on no occasion, define myself by the fact I was born in this country. I just. Don’t. Care.

But dammit, do I hate the way people act on this fucking holiday. Stop shoving your blind nationalism down my throat, and get your fucking flags and banners out of my way, and honey, there’s no fucking way you can wear that shade of red. God, I do not want to go to work tonight.

I’m thinking they just wanted to scoop July the 4th by three days…

Or Austria to Germany, for that matter.

Well, maybe picking a state where lacrosse means a city instead of a sport.

That’s all well and good for you to say, living in a Philadelphia suburb as you do. :cool:

I thought she lived in a suburb of Youngstown.

“Rudy Felsh knows how to belch
Better than anyone ever did
My brother says Rudy Felsh is a nasty vulgar kid
Who will go to hell, or jail, or Canada
But every night before I lay down
I pray that Rudy Felsh will show me how.”
Shel Silverstein

True enough. Here’s a little quizz I wrote up last night:

1. Who is Canada’s Head of State?

Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

1. What statute creates the office of the Prime Minister?

None. By convention, we have a Prime Minister.

1. Of Canada’s Prime Ministers, who was the best canoeist, who danced ballet for the Queen, and who repatriated our Constitution?

Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

1. If the Governor General is incapacitated, who takes over as the Administrator of Canada?

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.

1. What body politic first had the authority to make laws, constitutions, orders and ordinances in Canada, and on what date was this power granted by the Monarch?

Governor and Company of Adventurers of England tradeing into Hudsons Bay. 1670.

1. To what two events does this refer: “The United Kingdom’s British North America Act (U.K., 1867), as incorporated by reference into Canada’s Constitution Act (Can., 1982) as the Constitution Act (U.K., 1867) from Schedule B to the United Kingdom’s Canada Act (U.K., 1982)”?

Confederation in 1867 establishing Canada. Repatriation of Canada’s Constitution in 1982 finally cutting all legislative ties with England.

1. Which sections of which statute sets out which powers are federal, and which powers are provincial?

Constitution Act, 1867, s. 92 and s.92.

1. What Act said this: “No Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom passed after the commencement of this Act shall extend or be deemed to extend, to a Dominion as part of the law of that Dominion, unless it is expressly declared in that Act that that Dominion has requested, and consented to, the enactment thereof.”

Statute of Westminster, 1931.

1. What does POGG mean? What is the relationship between POGG and HOGG?

Under the Constitution Act, 1867, federal Parliament has a general legislative power to make laws for Peace, Order and Good Government in areas that are not already exclusively provincial jurisdictions. Peter Hogg is Canada’s leading constitutional scholar.

1. What is Part V of “The Constitution Act, 1982, being Schedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (U.K.), 1982, c. 11” What is Part I?

Procedure for Amending Constitution of Canada. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

That was the most boring quiz ever written. Even lawyers would fall asleep.