Canada - what makes Canada great

Don’t forget “Corner Gas” which had two Prime Ministers and a Governor General on it (Stephen Harper even lampooned himself).

By the way, I kept that front page picture of PM Jean Chretien giving the “Shawinigan Handshake.” What a mobster. :slight_smile:

My entire family are Newfs and they call the island ‘Newfie’ and the people ‘Newfs.’ Just my experience.

Thinking to both sides of the fam, none of them say ‘aboot.’ They say ‘baat.’ Could be regional…

(Luckily I was born in Torono. That’s right, don’t say the ‘t’ and the last letter is pronounced with an ‘o’ not an ‘a’ as some report.)

Never heard “Newfs.”

Who knows, maybe it’s a regional thing. My in-laws are from a particularly remote part of Newfoundland (where there is indeed a pronounced accent, to the point where I could barely understand some older people). Perhaps it’s a leftover from times past, and in, say, St. John’s, it’s all forgotten. But it’s not in their town.

America makes Canada great! By comparison, I mean.

Where I grew up (small town in southern Ontario) “aboot” was standard. That was a long time ago, though - and there were no TV stations to be had. I wonder if the language could shift that far from more outside influences?

From what I’ve heard, it is nearly impossible to emigrate to Canada, unless you have a rare and valuable skill. Which I certainly do not.

Isn’t being an American a rare and valuable skill?

That’s about as far from true as you can get. Canada is a very immigrant-dependent country, and I believe has a higher percentage of immigrants as its population than any other industrialized nation.

It certainly is easier to get in if you meet the requirements of an economic immigrant, but you dont need a “Rare or valuable skill.” A young, educated, English-speaking person starts out with a lot of points right there.

I am a prairie girl, and strenuously recommend this book -

I live in Winnipeg and I love it, although it certainly has it’s downside. Currently we retain the dubious honors of being the Murder Capital of Canada and I think we are still the Car Theft Capital of Canada (keeping in mind it’s per capita). I blame the Young Offenders Act - it pretty much gives most repeating young offenders no deterrent to continue committing crimes.

Now the good part…

I love our festivals. We have pretty much full summer weekends of local fairs and festivals to choose from and continue having fall suppers and community socials in the winter. There is so much to do, if you are inclined.

People are friendlier here. I don’t know if it’s something in the air, but we are generally smiley and kind to each other.

I would like to extend an invitation to come to the Festival du Voyageur. It’s in February in Winnipeg, MB. This will give you the chance to see and experience some fo the good and the bad - a huge weeklong celebration of French Canadian culture and food and also Winnipeg in February.

:slight_smile:

I don’t have anything bad to say about our healthcare. I know that sometimes the wait can be long (especially for non-life-threatening problems), but having a six year old and a migraine problem, I have never had an issue with it - when my daughter was born it became necessary to have a c-section. I shudder to think what my bill would’ve been if I had to pay for the care I received.

I’ve never heard anyone from Toronto say “aboot,” and I’ve lived here all my life. But every Newf I’ve ever met refers to themselves that way; they seem to be good natured about it. They’re Newfs, they know they’re Newfs, and they’ve proud of being Newfs. They’re the only ones I know of who have a pronounced accent that isn’t the result of French being their first language.

That said, I don’t know that I think Canada is particularly great, but never having spent any significant amount of time anywhere else I don’t really have much basis for comparison. I appreciate our health care system, though we do pay for it in other ways. Our politics is relatively bland; no massive controversies (the biggest in recent memory seems to have been the sponsorship scandal a few years back during the Cretien administration, though Cretien himself was the butt of no few jokes, especially late in his administration, mostly for his gaffes and his accent, especially the way he said “pooblicitee”) and our sociopolitical makeup is fairly tame; we’re not quite so gung ho over politics I think.

We’re very strict with guns, and lacking any Canadian form of NRA or constitutional right to bear arms, we don’t have any sort of “gun culture,” which suits me fine. Canada does have a great deal of gorgeous scenery, though I’m a born-and-bred city slicker so I prefer the bright lights and 24-hour activity. :slight_smile: On the whole we Canadians are a friendly and accommodating bunch.

I dunno. It’s hard to say what’s so great about it when you take most of it for granted. It’s a nice place though. And we have good beer. :slight_smile:

What are the immigration laws going to Canada from the USA?

Would it be easier for someone whose Mother was born in Canada?

There are several different ways to apply for Canada, depending on the situation that most closely describes your own.

For the child of a Canadian citizen, it appears that you are deemed Canadian automatically. Per Wikipedia’s article:

If you like canoeing and kayaking, and think the UP, Wisconsin and Minnesota are pretty, then Ontario will blow your socks off. The drive along the North Shore of Superior is truly lovely (and I’m lucky enough that I get to drive about half way along it tomorrow and back again on Friday). There is a great expanse of terrific paddling country here in Ontario where you can go for weeks without coming across anyone. Rivers, small and large lakes, and even the Arctic Ocean – it’s all here in Ontar-i-ar-i-ar-i-o. And better yet, Ontario is just one patch of a huge country in which each region has equally wonderful but very different features.

What I want to know about Canada is why everything is “A” this and “A” that. “How you doing, A?” “Bit cold outside, A”.

It’s like every other letter in Canada is “A”.

sorry, I’ll move along now

If you get the chance, watch a few episodes of the Red Green Show. It says it all about being a Canadian.

Actually, I though “Corner Gas” said it all about being a Canadian. :wink:

The scary thing is, I know people like that. :slight_smile:

now that’s what I am talkin’ about! Where the cell phone can’t be relied upon, and you better have what you need, cause its a long way back!

We really enjoyed Eagle Lake, we went to several campgrounds which were exactly the way they are here, but finally we found a campground on the lake shore that was totally unoccupied! At that time, we didn’t have our canoe, now we would definitely do things differently!

Things I like about Canada:
Trailer Park Boys
Corner Gas
Da Vinci’s Inquest
The Beachcombers
Danger Bay*

I’m in Prince Edward Island, Canada’s smallest province. I’m speaking of someone who’s from Charlottetown, PEI’s capital city with a whopping population of 58,000.

Click here for a map, and here for the Wikipedia entry.

The entire province has a population of about 130,000 people, which doubles during the summer tourist season. What I like about it here is that the whole province has a small town feel to it.

Of course, this is the downside as well. Specialty shops are uncommon, so I need to order online for things like a certain brand of saw blade or a specific brand of BBQ equipment. Big name concerts rarely hit us, so we usually end up driving to Moncton (2 hours) or Halifax (4 hours).

The Island currently has a doctor shortage, which means quite a few people don’t have a full time family doctor. However there are clinics run every day around town where you can see a doctor (free of charge of course) if you don’t mind waiting in line for an hour or two. Even if you have a family doctor you usually just can’t just drop in. For a physical you need to book it months in advance, and my doctor’s nurse is especially annoying as she takes her phone off the hook for hours at a time so you can’t book appointments. I now only use my family doc for ongoing issues and physicals, and if I need an antibiotic I go to a walk-in clinic. That said, I can’t count the number of times I have just dropped in and gotten same day service.

Still, I love it here. I was “away” for 7 years but for 5 of those I was looking for a way to come home.

Disclosure: Grew up in US, came North as an adult, now a Canuck.

Things that make Canada a great country:

• Decentralization that makes ‘States Rights’ proponents look like Federalists, but cooperation on the important stuff.

• Multiple political parties hamstring the government, such that decision making is pretty slow - this is usually good.

-Multiculturalism. The only places in the US that have a similar range to most of Canada would be Hawai’i and SoCal. Newfoundland would again be an exception to this rule, most people there are descended from Irish or English. Around MUN (the big university) you get a smattering of Chinese or African students - usually wearing parkas in the summer - as well as some people in healthcare who are of more diverse ancestry.

• Very liberal politics - In my opinion, the entire range of mainstream Canadian politics would fit comfortably within the Democratic tent. Even Harper would fit in as a Boll Weevil or Blue Dog Democrat (and I say this as a Yellow Dog).

• Very cautious approach to international affairs. Canada sat out Iraq and Viet Nam (mention this to Ann Coulter if you see her) but joined in for WW 1, 2, Korea and Afghanistan.

• Strong regional identities - Newfoundland is much more like a separate country relative to BC than, for example, North Carolina and California.

• Gun control

• Health care

Some downsides include:
-Weak national identity - Canadians spend a lot of time asking “What does it mean to be Canadian-aside from not being an American.”
-Very limited surfing.
-The weather in Newfoundland. By the way, ''aboot" is not common there - I don’t know if it is common on the mainland.

Here in Vancouver you can walk down the street toking up, or at least, people do. I’m not sure what it would take to bestir a cop to actually do something about it.