Canadian skater falls: no deductions??

I was watching some of the Olympic team skating competition today, and watched 3 teams in a row suffer a fall (somehow it’s always the ladies falling…do the guys ever fall?) including the Canadian team. The scores of the two previous teams (USA and Italy) had a -1.00 deduction, presumably from the falls. The Canadian team not only had a fall, but they missed on what was supposed to be a hand grab (you could see the panic flash on the woman’s face when it happened)…but the score they got had NO deduction! What gives??

It wasn’t really a fall- it was kind of a turn out, with hands down. That doesn’t really count as a fall (there are technical definitions of what constitutes a “fall”). If a skater falls on an element, it is an automatic -3 on the element, plus an automatic -1 off the total score. In this case, the element was a triple salchow (worth 4.2 base points). The stumble cost them -1.4 points off the element score (once the judges scores were averaged), so they only got 2.8 points for the side by side jumps (which could have scored as much as 7.2 if done really well.), but no one point deduction off the total.

Generally speaking, a fall gets you a -3 off an element, a two foot landing a -2, and a turn out or hand down a -1 or -2. But that’s a general guideline- if you started out with a difficult entry, you might have a +1 base mark, so a two foot landing might only get you a 1 point deduction off the element score.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/figure-skating-team-pairs-free-skating This website gives the detailed scores. If you click on the blue + signs on the right it gives the detailed scores of each skater.

I’m a total novice to watching skating, but I’ve seen what I believed to be excellent performances score less than some (IMHO) average performances. I had no idea it was so mathematical. This explains it. Thanks jehan.

I’ll do you one better - here is the site where you can see the individual judges’ scores. (Click on “Judges Scores (PDF)” in the rightmost column of the table. Obviously, only scores for completed events are available.) Note that not only do they not list which judge gave which scores (their reasoning is, it makes it impossible for a judge to say to someone, “See? I gave these scores to that skater, just like you asked - now, where’s my reward?”, but there are still ways for a judge to make it clear which scores are his/hers), but I’m pretty sure the order is different from one skater to the next.