Canadian ZENN Cars....

Not only is this funny in an off-the-cuff quasi Top Gear style, these cars make sense in a lot of ways. And made in Canada, Terrence!

Of course they don’t mention the range, etc of these little electric cars but the video is somewhat compelling and also very funny. VERY funny if you’re Canadian, I suspect.

Check them out: RMR: Rick and ZENN Car - YouTube

Rick Mercer is always funny, but I was sad to see that the video is circa ~2007, and they stopped production around 2010. :frowning:

I’m generally pessimistic about electric cars up here when you might have to choose between cabin heat and getting to work. :dubious:

It’s top speed was 40 kph / 25 mph – not the sort of thing than people want to drive or to have blocking the road in front of them. Suitable for golf-cart retirement communities, which we simply don’t have here.

25 mph? What the hell really? Well there you have it then. I (wrongly) assumed these cars were at least as capable as Smart cars. Which isn’t asking a lot. (70-80mph).

Well…that’s what I get for posting without researching then. And these doofuses act surprised when they aren’t for sale in Canada, Philip!

There are actually 4 Zenn cars in my neighborhood in Seattle so I’ve known about them for a while. Two are owned by the same family. I stopped by once when I saw the newer one show up (a couple of years back) and asked him, “why two?” and he had the most intelligent response ever.
“We love our first one to commute downtown to work and around Seattle. We have a minivan for anything further away but since buying the ZENN we only use it once a month. But our daughter just turned 16 so we got her a ZENN. With a maximum speed of 30 mph, maximum capacity of 3 people (before the max speed drops off dramatically), and a maximum range of 20 miles from home before turning around, it is the ideal teenager’s car. She can’t do anything stupid, but she still has a car that is fully functional.”

This sort of glorified golf cart has existed for years. It’s very much a niche vehicle, for people whose automotive needs never extend beyond having to drive to the grocery store a few miles down the road.

That’s what happened in the recent debacle between Tesla and (IIRC) the New York Times.

The reporter took the car on a road trip on a really cold day, and along the way he realized that the range was dropping much faster than it should be. Despite him turning the heat way down, the car still ran out of juice on the side of the road somewhere.

Tesla, of course, took the tactic of trying to shoot the messenger, accusing him of deliberately sabotaging the test drive because he took a minor detour off his planned route to bypass downtown traffic. They only shot themselves in the foot worse by drawing attention to the limitations of their car.