Canadians are lousy actors...

Hold your fire, this is not my claim, Robert Duval said it.

Don’t feel too bad, you guys produce more than your share of good comedians. :stuck_out_tongue:

But they sure make good horor flicks.

I love the smell of poutine in the morning. Smells like … VICTORY!

The finest living actor in history, William Shatner, is Canadian.

My condolences go out to the Duvall family… senility is a terrible thing.

Aw Geez - he’s playing General Robert E. Lee (honourable graduate of West Point).

At worst, it was an ornery comment from a fine old actor (71 - wow!). At best it was Duvall in character as General Lee.

play on

Besides Shatner, there’s Pamala Anderson, Jason Priestley and Jim Carrey. Hmmmm… What’s really got to hurt Canadians is not Duvall’s dissing them, but Costner’s praising them :slight_smile:

Seriously though, what a foolish thing to say. Sarah Polley anyone?

Oh I forgot Tom Greene!

Mike Myers! Martin Short! What’s this guy thinking?

perhaps he never saw the Norm show

Don’t forget Donald Sutherland.

Tom Greene and William Shatner aside, Robert Duvall has had the opportunity to work with at least one Canadian with talent.

According to imdb.com*, Duvall has appeared with Donald Sutherland in these 4 movies:

The Eagle Has Landed
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Lady Ice
MASH

But he’s never acted alongside Christopher Plummer or Raymond Massey.
That’s the website that helps you find old classmates. Oh, and it also has stuff about movies, if you click past the classmates stuff.

Norma Shearer . . . Mary Pickford . . . Bea Lillie . . .

Michael J Fox
John Candy
Hayden Christensen (was pretty good in Life as a House)
Whether or not Canadians can act, the certainly have comedy covered that’s for sure…

Well, the greatest live Shakespearean performance I’ve ever seen was Christopher Plummer as Iago, in “Othello.” I’d like to see Duvall try that role, before he shoots his mouth off again.

To be fair, I assume he was referring to secondary players rather than stars. Still foolish on his part to make the comment, he knows full well that such statements will be blown out of proportion by the press.

Well, he’s entitled to his opinion, wrong as it may be. I can’t really judge smaller Canadian actors because I avoid watching CBC like the plague, but I’m sure Calgary has no worse actors around here than any other city this size (850 000 approx.). Or maybe it does, because they’re all in LA and New York trying to make it big. Anyway, thanks for the cudos on our scenery. That’s what we’re here for. :rolleyes:

Other famous Canadian actors:

Michael Moriarty
Jill Hennessey
Dan Ackroyd
Harold Ramis
Martin Short
Lorne Greene
Tommy Chong
Rae Dawn Chong
Graham Greene
Tom Jackson
James Doohan
Kiefer Sutherland
Elisha Cuthbert
John Candy
Nia Vardalos
Mia Kirshner
Rick Moranis
Eugene Levy
Peter Ustinov
Jennifer Tilley
Meg Tilley
Matthew Perry
David James Elliott
Kristen Kreuk
Brendan Fraser
Mike Myers
Neve Campbell

Well, that’s a partial list, to be sure, but I think we can safely say Mr. Duvall is talking out his ass. I respect much of his work, but like most actors, I don’t have much respect for the things they say on the record.

Who was that fine moubtie in “Due South”?

Paul Gross.

Leslie Nielson (also Canadian) had a recurring role as a Mountie on Due South, too.

Jimbo: Peter Ustinov? IMDB.com says he was born in England, of mostly Russian descent.