Canadope 2015: Battlestar Canadica

So you got Moonies up there, too? :smiley:

Damn, what is with this weather? - 15 (-28 with wind chill) yesterday, 10 cm of snow overnight, changed to rain this afternoon, and 7 degrees tomorrow. Make up your mind! At least I got to use the new snow blower.

Frack, it’s cold! Every year when we go through this cold snap, I question my own intelligence as to why I haven’t chucked everything and moved to Belize by now.

Also, I am sick. For the first time in years, I have…something. I am calling it The Plague. First day back at work tomorrow looks like it will start off with a trip to the MIR just to confirm it is just viral and not requiring antibiotics.

Now, back to searching for last minute beach vacations. Anyone want to come along? Could have the first-ever Cuba Dopefest?

Poysyn, I’ll go on vacation with you only if you promise not to give me your sickness.

Apparently even Vancouver is getting snow, or so I heard.

And some more from Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers with “Some Cold Tonight in Yellowknife”.

Yes. God yes. Not to be creepy, but once I sell this house (this year dammit!) I’m going on a Jimmy Buffet sponge cake and alcohol holiday somewhere.

Fuck the rest of you.

Don’t blow out your flip-flops. You might step on a pop-top!

So. Russia in the final. Slovakia starting in two minutes. Good luck, Canucks!

I haven’t missed a game. Wonderful hockey.

ETA: Max Domi is the tournament’s best player. He would be most welcomed in a Leafs jersey. Unfortunate that ain’t gonna happen soon.

And here we go!

You’re not Canadian if you’re not watching this!

The geographical centre of Canada is just outside of Winnipeg - maybe they have a golf course there.

Oh, that’s nice!

Hey, I watched the lacrosse season opener yesterday - I got yer Canadian right here!

I disagree.

Hell, I’ll say it: I’m Canadian, and I hate hockey.

Oh, I liked it as a kid in Toronto, when we got the Leafs on CBC on Saturday nights, and on Wednesday nights from CHCH-11 from Hamilton. Two games a week, that’s all. It was something to look forward to.

Now that there are two or three games a night, seven nights a week? Not so much. Too many teams, too much talent dilution, too much hype. And we’re supposed to go batshit over hockey because we’re Canadian? Sorry, I’m more invested in NFL playoffs right now. And I’ll be more interested in the Blue Jays come baseball season. The Raptors are piquing my interest in basketball also.

Seriously, when the Rose Bowl (a once-a-year football game) is pre-empted to show a regular, means-nothing hockey game (cite}, it’s time to tell hockey to shove it.

There has been, and always will be, great hockey. I’ve been lucky enough to meet some of the game’s greats: Bobby Hull, Bob Baun, Red Kelly, and King Clancy among others. They are giants in the hockey world, and they are who I watched on those Saturday and Wednesday nights. But hockey is being shoved down our throats as Canadians (seriously which Canadian has an interest in a Nashville-Arizona game, but we have to watch it just the same), and I don’t like it. Dammit, the hockey season is ten months long, and parallels a school year!

So. I’m not Canadian if I don’t watch Hockey Game Number 106 of 2035 (or however many) games are on TV this season? Well, I guess I’m not Canadian then. Anybody want to adopt a stateless person?

Jeez man.

It’s just a game.

Unwind.

And let’s go for 18 holes somewhere.

There is no dilution of talent. The average NHL player is much, much better than he used to be. They are faster, stronger, better trained, more fundamentally sound and make far fewer mistakes. If you put today’s Maple Leafs in a time machine, flew them back to 1977 and had them play the Canadiens of that year, the Leafs would completely dominate them. If they played a seven game series I’d quite honestly be surprised if the '77 Habs won two games.

This is not to say you aren’t entitled to dislike hockey of course; different strokes. And your point about the hype is quite valid, and really is true of ALL sports now; I love my sports but, my God, they do lay it on thick. The rise of 24-hour sports channels has led to the rise of really shitty sports programming made in a desperate effort to fill timeslots.

The gold medal game is on, if anyone is interested. Canada vs Russia and Canada already scored in the first minute. AND NOW AGAIN!

Wow - 5-4! I blinked at the end of the second period and missed the Russians scoring 3.

Promise (it had better be gone by then).

5-3 - the most “dangerous” score to be leading by in hockey. Just enough that you get cocky, not so much that the other team can’t catch you!

DUDE!!? Where’s the LOVE?!

Canadian team had one of the best tournaments ever: never lost a game, never trailed. Very impressive.

I’m sad it’s over. It was nice to see MY team winning for a change.