Cane syrup substitute

I have a recipe that calls for cane syrup. I don’t know if I can get it here, so I mixed 1-1/4 cups sugar with 1/3 cup water and boiled it for five minutes. I poured it into a 4 oz. Glad container and it’s cooling in some water. It seemed a little thick on the spoon when it was hot. Did I boil it too long? How long do you boil sugar and water to make a syrup?

Ladies an’ gennelmen…

We have crystals.

Yep, a big crystal slush. I’ve put it back into the saucepan and added more water. Trying again…

Seems to me like cane syrup would be very close to molasses

Sorghum syrup would work as well.

But you can get cane syrup in the wilds of Washington. Just head in to Fred Meyers and ask for “Lyle’s Golden Syrup.”

I’ll have a look next time I’m in town. Supposedly, Fred Meyers carries French Market (not Café du Monde) coffee and chicory, but the one in Bellingham doesn’t. So I’ll just have to see about the syrup.

I just got back from The Market, a new supermarket nearby. It’s yup-scale, so I thought they might have it. They didn’t. But they did have Zataran’s Creole Mustard. I also got some sliced roast beef. It was about twice what Trader Joe’s charges, which I didn’t know since I misread the price. I need to go to Cash & Carry for a big-ass block of cheese and some coffee syrup ($3.59 there, vs. $6.99 at The Market) so I may as well check out Freddy’s.

Check a liquor store (or the liquor area of a mega mart) and look for “Simple Syrup.”

I’ve made the dressing, and it turned out tasty even with the substitute. :slight_smile:

I guess I should say what it’s for.

I had a nice salad in New Orleans. I emailed the restaurant, and they were kind enough to send me the recipe. Mayonnaise, Zataran’s Creole mustard, horseradish, red wine vinegar, Louisiana hot pepper sauce, cane syrup, and Worcestershire make up the dressing. The salad is paper-thin roast beef slices, mixed greens, and fried onions. Just the thing for a hot Summer’s day. I picked up a mini-loaf of French bread and had a couple of buttered slices with it.

Cheaper to make your own. It’s just “equal” parts sugar and water.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.

The syrup can be refrigerated in a glass jar for up to 1 month. Makes about a cup and a half.

Simple syrup is NOT cane syrup. Two different things entirely.

I was about to say… Cane syrup is made by boiling down sugar cane juice and has a slightly caramel-like (as best as I could describe) flavor and color to it. If I were to substitute, I probably would mix corn or simple syrup with blackstrap molasses, in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Simple syrup just doesn’t have the same sweetness or flavor as what I know as cane syrup.

Here in Louisiana, you can pretty much get Steen’s Cane Syrup at any grocery store. Their website is here: http://www.steensyrup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=STEENS&Category_Code=S
If you are still in need of and fairly desperate for some genuine cane syrup, I could go pick you up a can and mail it to you if you want. Send me a private message if you want.

:smack: I knew there was something I was supposed to do today! But I couldn’t think of why I needed to go into town, so I didn’t.

Shawn1767: Thanks for the link. Looks like I can get a lifetime’s supply for a double-sawbuck plus shipping. (The dressing requires two tablespoons, and makes about a pint. I use a couple of tablespoons of dressing on the salad.) Very kind of you to offer to send me a can. I’ve found people in the South to be nice. If I can’t find it locally, I can just order it from your link. :slight_smile: