Can't kickstart a Youtube channel...

I have 3 different non-related Youtube channels, each has its own genre of videos (and I keep following that rule, so no funny videos, followed by a political video on the same channel, then a gameplay video on that channel again or whatever), I fill the meta data (description and tags) and the general quality of videos is decent enough, not spectacular, but also not crappy or another spam compilation, most videos are my own content and from the little views that I get, about 90+% of reactions are positive…all that, and I can’t get even a 100 subs after a few months because Youtube most of the time doesn’t push the videos even enough for them to reach at least 50 views. At the same time, I see dozens of stolen spam videos every day that had no effort whatsoever that get even millions of views.

What am I doing wrong or what am I not doing at all?

I am not sharing the videos on other sites like Facebook, because I tried and it doesn’t really work, my most popular videos are the ones I haven’t shared anywhere and also I don’t want to be that guy that promotes his channel on every Facebook group out there.

So…other than spamming as many FB groups as I can, which I don’t want to do, and other than improving the quality of the videos, which I am trying with every new video, what else could I do?

I don’t know you at all, but it sounds as if you have some big expectations for your channels’ success.

Maybe it’s those expectations that need adjusting, and not so much the videos themselves. YouTube is not going to be an “automatic win” for you just because you follow some supposed recipe for success.

More explicitly: maybe it’s not the videos, maybe it’s your personal popularity that’s not climbing.

If you want to make an omelette, ya gotta break some eggs.

I’m only subscribed to a couple of YT-ers. And they are shameless self promoters.

From what I can tell, it’s a very competitive business. And if you’re not willing to kick, scratch and scream for every viewer, you’re not going to make it.

You may need to consider that maybe your videos just aren’t that interesting. In what way do you think they stand out from the many millions of videos on YouTube?

First, you can’t rely on YouTube’s algorithm to promote your videos. I listen to enough people with YT presence to know that the algorithm changes suddenly and without explanation and that it favors things that already have a lot of views. YT exists for YT, not video creators.

On a level you have more control over,
What do you bring that people can’t already get from other channels? What makes your political video better than somebody with a bigger channel who has more polish? What makes your gaming video better than a bigger channel with more polish? Jokes are more subjective and varied among channels, so this may be the most likely channel to break out. Even so, it won’t be easy.

A couple of months isn’t long. Sure, some people make something so unique that it takes off that quickly, but that’s the exception, not the rule. (Or they get backing that helps launch it.) Others grind for years to snowball their follower count, starting with 10 viewers and growing by 10% each month. 10% growth seems pretty high to me, and even that growth rate would take 4+ years to reach 1000 viewers.

It is very difficult to get views. If you are doing something unusual on your gaming channel, you could try to promote the video on the game’s Reddit or on the game developer’s forum.

But really it is much like trying to “make it” in the film or music industry. You need a lot of luck and you need to have something special. Hard work alone can’t do it.

If your content is in English and you are not a native English speaker, that can be a handicap even if your English is excellent.

You’re saying this as if all videos that made it (+100k views) stand out from the other ones, when in fact actually interesting channels that put a lot of effort (2d and 3d artists, scientists, urban explorers, etc.) often get several times less views than most generic possible spam compilations, gameplayers that scream the entire video, “reactors”, “roasters” and rich vlogers. I see dozens and dozens of amazing channels that are not getting nearly as much popularity as they should, while many famous Youtubers with no talent or effort get millions of views every month.

As for whether my videos are interesting enough, that’s not the issue yet, the problem is that they are not showing up in the recommended section of other people, so…how is anyone even supposed to see your video, if you’re a new channel and Youtube isn’t putting your video on the recommended list in videos that have similar tags to yours video? Isn’t that the entire point of tags and metadata?

I post videos on Facebook as well, over there I easily get over 50k views in a single day without sharing the videos to groups and people generally like them, so I know based on that that people do find my videos interesting enough to at least spend a minute or two on them and in a few cases I even got over 1 thousand video shares on Facebook, which is a lot for someone that’s posting original content and not just a viral video page. Obviously people prefer to watch videos on Facebook, so you’re going to get a lot more views on Facebook, but the problem is that I can barely get more than 10 views on Youtube, even if I post the exact same video I posted on Facebook, a video that was more than succesful there, but can barely move from a 0 on Youtube.

And football gets more viewers than Masterpiece Theater on PBS. If you want to get the masses, you gotta play to the masses. Want to be a hit on YouTube? Express the popular opinion on a popular subject, and do it while being young and physically attractive.

(I have one science-related video on YouTube–I’ve mentioned it here in relevant circumstances a couple of times and once on another site and otherwise ignored it. I see that it has had around 750k views in the three years that it has been up.)

…well yeah it is an issue.

You are competing against thousands of other youtubers, all of them dutifully tagging and applying metadata at every opportunity. What makes you think that just because you’ve tagged your video correctly the youtube algorithm is going to care about your content?

The algorithm is constantly changing. Popular content-creator Emma Blackery talks about in recent videos how she changed the type of content she was making, her views dipped remarkably, and how she has struggled to get them back. And she make funny, unique, pretty awesome stuff.

For the successful youtubers its a full-time job. Its a business. I’m a photographer. In my industry its extremely common for people to buy a brand new camera, take a few photos of friends, find out they might actually be good at it, so they start selling their services only to end up out-of-business six months later. Because they didn’t treat it as a business. They didn’t charge enough to cover their cost of doing business. They didn’t pay their taxes. They didn’t market their business. They didn’t study their competitors. They made assumptions they shouldn’t have.

You are the guy who have started their photography business, bought a new studio, and is wondering why nobody is walking through the doors.

A channel that has 100+ views hasn’t made it. Because if they stop doing what they are doing or if they drop the ball in some way or other then it all falls apart really quickly. If you are wondering why “generic possible spam compilations, gameplayers that scream the entire video, “reactors”, “roasters” and rich vlogers” are successful: its because the people who run their channels know who their target market are, they create content that their target market want to watch, they keep a very close eye on their metrics and regularly change up their content when the metrics start to change.

So if you are unconcerned about whether or not your videos are interesting or not that shows that you simply don’t understand how it all works. You need to understand what market you are catering for. You need to produce content for that market. Then you need to keep tweaking until you get it right.

One of the most popular photography channels is “Fro Knows Photos.” Here is his first ever video. This is what he is doing now. He had to work his ass off to get the channel to where it is today. Its a business. And if you want results? Then you need to run your channels as a business. And that starts with knowing who your market is and creating content that the market wants. Tagging and metadata are important: but they are important in the same way as giving a book a contents page and an index. You can have a really fancy contents page, but if you’ve written a boring book then nobody is going to buy it.

…you can add one more view :slight_smile: Awesome video.