Captain and Tennille Divorcing!

Keep this up and there’ll be some corporal punishment.

That’s Petty

Does this reinterpretationmake it worse or better?

He tried not to mess around but at 71 he’s not as strong as he used to be.

As a general rule, that’s forbidden. Major consequences if violated.

Probably a colonel of truth there.

I bet there was times Fleetwood and the McVies wanted to murder Lindsey and Stevie just to shut them up.

I watched The Sonny and Cher show in high school and The Captain and Tennile Show. I recall enjoying their show more than Sonny and Chers. I can’t recall specifics but the Tennile show had better guests and was just more fun. Jon Byner was just starting and very funny. Both shows were part of my weekly tv schedule.

I remember this one from the Doctor Demento back in the '80s. I hope it helps.

Apparently Daryl Dragon is suffering from a very advanced case of Parkinson’s, so they might be getting a divorce for insurance reasons.

Help. I don’t understand this, as a Canadian.

At 71, he’d be covered under Medicare.

MAN, these are some of the rankest puns that have ever been martialed together in a single thread.

Sad to hear the news.

I met Toni Tennille back in about 1980. She was a bright, attractive woman with an awesome voice, and we had a nice conversation. Somewhere, I still have an autographed photo.

I won’t! I won’t! I won’t!

Not necessarily: Medicare only provides limited coverage for custodial care. The rules are somewhat arcane, but generally speaking coverage is limited to 100 days, and only when recovering from injury or illness — a chronic condition such as Parkinson’s would not be covered. After that the patient must rely on supplemental insurance, his or her own assets, or public assistance.

It’s certainly not unheard of for couples to divorce in order to shield their assets and make one partner eligible for such assistance. I have no idea whatsoever whether that applies in this case, but I wouldn’t be completely gobsmacked if it were a factor.

Medicare doesn’t pay for many long-term care (nursing home) costs. Medicaid will, but only after one’s own assets have been exhausted. A spouse is allowed to exempt some portion of the couple’s assets, but only enough to provide a relatively limited standard of living. By divorcing and separating their assets, Tennille may be able to shield more from the taxman.

ETA: Ninja’d!

Note that long-term care is not wholly publicly-funded in Canada. It varies by province, but out-of-pocket cost at a public facility can run $20-$35K, and what the patient actually pays typically depends on his or her income.

I’ll bet she probably just got fed up about the stupid hat.

They’re still alive? :confused:

Maybe they felt somehow obligated to stay together all these years in light of their first hit song.