Car growling at speed

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier. Yeah, I know, but only 87K. When going about 60 if you start to turn to the right you get a loud growling sound, sort of like alert strips but with no bumping I cannot detect this at slower speeds. It does not sound metallic and does not change with speed. I am taking it in this afternoon, but knowing how hard sounds can be to diagnose I thought I might ask for ideas.

Do you use Esso gas? Maybe you have a tiger in your tank.

Not being very well-versed in car mechanics, I’m guessing a wheel bearing? I kinda-sorta remember something like this on one of my cars too long ago for me to remember.

Since this is happening when turning, checking everything power steering related would be prudent, e.g., belt, fluid level. But since it doesn’t happen at low speeds I’d be suspicious of worn brakes (yes, even if you aren’t breaking at the time) and wheel bearings. Possibly CV joints, but that’s usually more of a crunchy sound.

Bad tires can make horrid sounds on the highway at higher speeds. Do you have good rubber?

I’d start with CV joints. But if you’re mechanically inclined, jack up a tire, then grip it, left and right and wiggle it back and forth and see how much play there. Do the same thing with your hands at the top and bottom, and even diagonally for good measure. Also, while you’re there, look for a big rubber boot and make sure it’s not broken and/or splooging grease all over the place. Do the same thing on the other side. If one of them has a significant amount of play in it or there’s a bunch of grease, you’ll have narrowed down the culprit.

These are basic tests for ball joints/CV joints/tie rod ends. Not definitive, but helpful.

Rubber is good all around. While I can fix some things, the worry that this could be a safety issue has be bringing it in to a good mechanic this afternoon.

Good decision. Give us the verdict because you have me very curious now as to the cause.

A growling sound from tires is not uncommon and often overlooked by mechanics. If it is a CV joint or a wheel bearing the mechanics should find it pretty easily.

I’d agree with the others and say likely a left side wheel bearing with cv as a possibility.

It could also be the brakes.

One thing I would try is to make that turn that produces noise with the transmission in Neutral.

One cheap and easy test is to have the tires rotated to see if the noise changes in tone or location.