Car ownership: new vs old

Do you prefer to buy a brand-new or nearly-new car? Or do you like older ones?

I buy older cars than are low-mileage for their age, and then run them into the ground. My main car is currently a '96 Buick, with 182K miles. When I bought it, it had 118K miles.

In general, repairs are not as expensive on older cars.

I usually buy them with around 20k miles then hang on to them. My last car was a 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant with just shy of 200,000 miles and replaced it with a 2015 Sonata at 18k miles.

The Gallant was purchased with ~40k miles but that was a special case since it was replacing a Mazda3 that got totaled in an accident around 100k and I was buying what the insurance check would afford.

I suspect the most common choice is to buy a car when it has less than 100K (either new or used) and keep it until it has more than 100K, but this isn’t covered by any of the poll options.

I’ve only owned three cars in my lifetime. All three were bought used when they were approximately 3 years old (and had well under 100K miles) and driven for many years/miles.

Brand-new. Why should I acquire somebody else’s problems?

This is also what I do.

I’m 50. I have owned many vehicles over the past 34 years. I have never purchased a new vehicle, always paid cash, and have never had a car payment.

It’s worked out very well for me. The only down side is that I tend to spend quite a bit of time working on cars. But I don’t mind doing the work.

My current daily driver is a 2002 Saturn L200 with 269K miles. I also own 5 other vehicles at this time (for other family members), the newest being a 2005.

The poll choices confused me so I didn’t pick any of them, but I’ve driven both old and new cars. When you want to talk about cars I’ve owned (as opposed to driven for years at a stretch) I’ve owned precisely two cars: one I got used (though probably not 100,000 miles used), one that was bought new. Previous to that I drove cars owned by my parents - very old cars owned by my parents.

The new one is better, sheerly from the standpoint of maintenance. The very old cars broke down a lot and required a lot of maintenance - typically maintenance that cost close to the value of the car.

New. They’re not new when I lose them. Never bought a car just cause I wanted to. It’s always because of a wreck. Generally car vs deer. My current ride is a 2017 Ford Escape. It’s days are numbered, I fear. I had a near miss last week.

In the last decade or two, I have always bought new cars. (but with no car payments) Before that, a mixture.

Big difference between new and 100k miles. :slight_smile: But I guess the poll would get complicated.

I’ve never commuted to work by car on a continuous basis, just a few periods of being seconded to a client’s office and driving a moderate distance, many years ago. Otherwise public transport or company car&driver working overseas. Some people who drive a boatload assume everyone does. I’ve had pretty old cars in years, but never got to 100k. My '67 VW and '74 Fiat both rusted out in the 80’s before reaching 100k miles. We had a 2000 model SUV we might have kept to 100k, but a kid’s friend’s totaled it in 2007. One of our kids bought our (bought-new) 2005 SUV in 2014, and he’s likely to sell it back to us this year when he buys a new car, but it’s only at 80k, remains to be seen if it will get to 100k as a second car in a no car commuting family.

But I haven’t bought an other than new car for myself/wife since the 90’s, not counting intrafamily transfers. I see no reason to buy used cars, unless classics, once there’s no financial pressure to do so.

The average age of my “fleet” is 36 years old! It skewed up recently because I sold a '63 and '69 and bought the wife a 2010.

Never had a new car and doubt I ever will. But I have a few cars with less than 100k. Actually, I guess it’s “had”. One truck had 80k when I got it, but its over 110k now, and the '69 I just sold only had 50k. But its gone. :frowning:

Oh, the '10 has less. Forgot!

I always buy new. But I drive very little, so even if I keep them for ten years (which isn’t unusual), they are still pretty low-mileage when I trade them in on another new one. My current car is a 2005 Scion xA with 40k miles on it.

None of the poll options fit me. I have owned both new and used cars, including some with very high mileage. I prefer used, although it takes a little legwork and research to find a good one. I always have a trusted mechanic check them out thoroughly before I buy them.

People keep their cars much longer these days. When I was a kid, a car with 100,000 miles was ready for the junkyard, but that’s no longer the case. My current car, a Honda, had 175K when I bought it; my mechanic assured me that this wasn’t low for a Honda, and I could easily make it to 300K. (I should add that I live in an area that doesn’t get much snow, so rust isn’t the major issue it would be in the midwest or northeast.)

I bought my current car, a 2010 Honda Fit, brand new in September 2010. Prior to that, I owned a 1994 Honda Accord bought in 1996 (so about two years old). But then I noticed the very small difference in price between lightly used Honda cars and brand-new ones. Which is why I bought the current one brand new. And lately the advances in safety technology (and smartphone integration) have come so far so fast that I’d want to get the latest advancements.

The OP title doesn’t really fit the poll and opening post.

Anyway. I’m 57. I’ve purchased two new cars and a number of used. I also drive 'em into the ground. My Wife is the same.

I’m about due. My current car is pushing 200000 miles. Bought new. It’s’ a 2006. I’ll probably by a new one in about 2 years. We take a LOT of time researching cars before buying them. The problem with that is sometimes the model is no longer available, or is for all practical purposes, a completely different car (I’m looking at you Nissan)

I’ve never purchased a car with less than 100k miles. Mainly this is due to the fact that I never could afford to buy one early in my driving career. I also kind of need to have two different vehicles available. I really like to have a pickup available for projects and weekend hunting/camping trips but I detest them as a daily driver. I keep a much more efficient wagon or minivan for day to day use. Last year I put less than a thousand miles on my truck and spent about $300 in insurance and tags on it. It’s worth it to me to keep it around for those prices. My daily drive is a 2002 Pontiac Montana with over 200k miles and I fully intend to drive it until the wheels fall off.

Can’t vote - there’s no option for getting cars that have significantly less than 100,000 miles and holding onto them until they do.

I guess I could buy a newish car, but I just don’t see any reason to. The most I’ve spent for a car in the 18 years I’ve been married is $3500, for the minivan (2001 Mazda MPV) we work out of. We’ve had it now for 5 years. It’s driven daily, all over the place. Picked it up with 90k on it, the thing just went over 163k today. I put some tires on it. A new radio. The battery died one cold day, and I had an alternator put on a couple weeks later. Other than that pretty much just oil changes. I still can’t believe it doesn’t need brakes, but I have had them checked even recently when they did the alternator.

I don’t buy anything too sexy, but to me a car is more utilitarian than anything. I had an old 91 Toyota Paseo that I bought for $2200 for about 7 years before it ever needed anything. That thing still ran great when I sold it. I guess if I had lots of money I might buy something new just for the fun of picking it all out, but it kinds of seems like a waste. My wife and I detailed cars for years. Everything from your mom-mobile to Ferrari and Porsche, BMW to Mercedes, and we honestly weren’t always that impressed. In the end they were all just cars. Shiny cars, when we were done, and that was cool, but just cars. The Ferrari F430 Spyder was constantly being serviced, and when it needed service it would be put on a flatbed and taken to another state, then returned and sometimes not returned fixed, so it would have to go back. It too was just a car.

Not many people fit that profile. Either they’re like me, or else they buy brand-new (or nearly so), but then sell the car in a year or two, or within a few years at most. That’s precisely why people like Jophiel can buy cars with only about 20k miles on them.

Generally I buy cars with about 100,000 miles on them and drive them until they wear out.

One of our cars we bought used (from out daughter when she moved to Germany) the other new. However we drive them until we run them into the ground, so we don’t buy cars very often. My newest is 8 1/2 years old.