Carefree Highway

Gordon Lightfoot’s Carefree Highway keeps playing in my mind. They don’t play that kind of music on The World Famous KROQ, my favourite college station KXLU, or on NPR. I haven’t heard the song in years. And yet there is is.

Picking up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight…

What’s up with that? Why is it stuck in my head?

Oh great…thanks a lot…

carefree highway…lets me slip away…

Would someone please call my sister and tell her it’s Carefree Highway NOT Every Highway?

Thank you.

Is she cute? Is she single? :smiley:

(Of course, she could always google the lyrics.)

Hey, thanks. Now not only am I singing that song, but I have been edjamafied. I thought it was “Every Highway”. (I’m terrible with lyrics…)

Thank God.

I was hoping that this was going to be a Gordon Lightfoot thread.

I am not disappointed.

By the way, he’s going to be in San Diego over the summer at Humphrey’s to perform. I’m thinking about buying tickets.

I now have this song in my head, too. So while I can’t explain its presence in your head, you have comfort in knowing that you are now not alone.

(Do you think Kevin & Bean secretly listen to Gordon Lightfoot when they get home from work?)

Those mornin’-after blues
from my head down to my shoes…

It means you’re about to go on a journey, said the fortune cookie. Or was it the Magic 8-Ball?

Reply hazy, ask again later. :slight_smile:

Put me in the “formerly thought it was Every” camp, too.

Just a note to add that I’d encourage you NOT to click on the Great Debate thread “Gateway says it’s fun to steal music” (or something similar.

I guess the Gateway ad uses a hip hop mix of Sundown, and a few other songs are mentioned as being covered in strange ways.

Then you’ll have the whole G.L. repertoire in your head, not just this song.

Mentally, I always sort of catalogued Gordon Lightfoot in the Harry Chapin~Jim Croce singer songwriter category. Figgered he’d have to be dead, too. Glad he’s doing OK, though.

Weird, eh? that it would be in both our heads. I mean your head and my head – not “both our heads” in the sense that we have two heads and the song is in both for each of us.

Now, that’s an amusing image.

Other Gordon Lightfoot songs are trying to come to me: Early Morning Rain, Go My Way, The House You Live In, Summer Side of Life, Summertime Dream, 10 Degrees and Getting Colder and Song for a Winter’s Night. But they’re being held back by Carefree Highway.

I suppose it could be worse. At least I don’t have The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in there.

So scout… You say it’s not just me, and you’re in San Diego. As it happens, I lived in San Diego until I was 15. Maybe it’s a San Diego thing? Hmmm…

If you could read my mind, love,
What a tale my thoughts could tell.

I, too, was hoping this would be a GL thread :slight_smile:
Now I’m going to have to break out the CDs to properly get my fix…

Carefree highway, let me slip away on you.

The band is elwood. The CD is the parlance of our time. It’s a enjoyable disk. I enjoy playing both versions of Sundown sequentially.

This is making me feel so much better.

I’m not the only Lightfoot fan. :: dabs a tear ::

That’s it, I’m following Scylla’s lead. To hell with what everyone else thinks. I’m going to revel in the things I like, regardless of their apparent coolness (or lack thereof).
Hi, I’m scout…and I love Gordon Lightfoot.

Ah, sweet release.

:cool:

Now Summer Side of Life is trying to take over.

Damn. Looks like I’m going to have to find the CD.

I bought GL greatest hits when I was seventeen. And that was in 1996.

I hid that CD from everyone-I was terrified people would make fun of me.

Oh well…I rationalize that the guy was friends with Bob Dylan, so he can’t be too geeky.

There is a road called “Carefree Highway” that runs West-East, just North of Phoenix. I wonder if one is related to the other?

As a matter of fact, I was thinking today about how nice it would be to buy a more powerful bike (Yamaha, because I love Yamahas; or a BMW like James Bond rode) and riding out to AZ to ride on Carefree Highway.

At the risk of sending this thread over to Café Society, I think Gordon Lightfoot may have seen Carefree Highway and decided it would be good in a song. Or maybe not. The song doesn’t seem to say anything about the road itself, so it may just be about living a carefree life and wondering how his old girlfriend is.

BTW: It’s cool that such ultra-hotties as scout1222 (whom I met at the last Dopefest) and Guinastasia (whose photo I’ve seen) like Gordon Lightfoot.

Anthracite beat me to it, I thought you were asking directions to the Ben Avery shooting range just off I-17.

I haven’t heard the song in years but probably misheard the lyrics too. A highly underrated songsmith and balladeer.