Casual use of the term "cock blocked" is fairly offensive

I caught a bit somewhere about the word “fuck” in the workplace. Among people who know each other about a mutually hated situation, it bonds. That’s not to say it should be used among casual acquaintances but yeah, among familiars sometimes it would be best, calling a spade a spade.

I honestly never even heard of this expression until yesterday, when I read it in the title of a Pit thread.

I don’t really find it offensive, but jeepers, does it ever make the speaker sound like an oaf. If that’s the impression you’re shooting for, go for it.

This seems apropos.

Well, now, lookee here–cock blocking is one thing, but when you take the LAST cupcake, you have overreached in the worst way. That’s a killing matter, in this house. :cool: :wink:

I thought it was goaltending.

It depends on the reason. If it’s because you’re jealous that the girl is talking to the guy, then you’re an asshole for doing it.

If it’s one of your friends it actually can be quite humorous.

“Hi, dad” is offensive?:confused:

I think the overuse of the term can be offensive (like, say, having a friend who, after being told she had not blocked one’s cock, continues telling people she had indeed blocked a cock), but the term is useful. Over the loud music of a club, or through the haze of alcohol, it can be difficult to get a friend (or even a stranger) to understand that their actions are disrupting my attempts to talk to and hit on someone. The rhyming, catchy term “cock block” expresses it well, even if my intentions aren’t to go home with the girl. I’m not one for casual vulgarity, but I’ve adopted the phrase.

I’ve also heard a few women use the term “pussy block” over the years. Lacks the rhyme, but hey.

Anyone use the term “mother hen?” My friends and I tend to discriminate in our terms-- cock blocking is done by one’s own friends and/or strangers, while mother henning is done by friends of the woman in question. The end goal of cock blocks and mother hens are the same, to disrupt flirting.

My wife teaches high school. She came upon a boy and girl talking in the halls during class, and told the girl to get to class. When the girl was gone, the boy said, directly to my wife, his teacher, “Mrs. G., you’re totally cock-blocking me!”

Seriously.

Joe

The Gooch was Arnold Jackson’s bully on Diff’rent Strokes. I have no idea why I still remember that.

So, out of wonder, does “cock block” refer specifically to sex like it seems to, or is it now applied across the board for any interference in any (potentially) non-platonic interpersonal relationship? I mean, if you’re trying to just talk to a girl you may be interested in having a steady “take-it-slow” relationship with (or what passes for one now at any rate) and not out for sex RIGHT NAO and someone “steps in” is it still cock-blocking?

I like the sound of “pussy parry” myself, or is “parry” too sophisticated a word for such a concept? (Not that “parry” is that high on the vocab list or anything, but we’re talking sexual slang here)

The first probably depends on the people. I usually hear it in the sense that any attempt to flirt has been blocked, regardless of the reason for the flirtation. A guy at work who wants to ask a coworker out for lunch so he can see if she’s single, but management comes by and sends them off to opposite parts of the store? He’s cock-blocked, even though the immediate goal was simply lunch and finding out her status. Probably with lounge lizards or “seduction” guys, the term is more blatantly referring to an attempted sexual conquest getting stopped.

I’m not sure if “parry” would work; it calls to my mind a one-on-one match, so implies that the failure is not due to a third party’s interference.

Another vote for vulgar, and when ladies use the word, for misplaced macha-ness. Besides, what is wrong with the traditional term “chaperon” ?

I’m constantly losing sleep over phrases that are “fairly offensive”. Big deal; move on.

Another vote for no big deal here. It’s a useful phrase for a specific situation that needs a way to describe it. When you hear it, you know exactly the point that is being made. It’s become so commonplace that I’ve even heard it used when a girl is trying to pick up another girl. (On TV I have to admit, I’m not cool enough to see that in person.)

If you want to get offended about something, take it out on the phrase “he’s got no game”, as if every single guy thinks dating is a “game” with winners and losers and rules and fouls and 2-minute offense drills. Ok, maybe it’s just me who takes offense to that because I do, in fact, have no game. :frowning:

get over your self.:dubious:

Oh.
That makes a lot of sense.

:smack:

Clam-slammed?

I’m going to side with the OP on this one. It’s one thing if friends are joking around and the situation is clearly not a “cock block,” as it were, but it’s another situation if people are seriously thinking that they have “blocked” one’s “cock.”

It is another indication that many folks have fully accepted the belief that men simply follow their penises around and let it guide them. I, too, find it offensive when people make such assumptions about me. “Oh, you’re talking to a girl. You want to have sex with her, don’tcha?”

:mad:

Anyone who doesn’t want to have to use the term “cock-block” needs to avoid Rasa like the damned plague. She’s a cock blocking sonofa bitch and makes no apologies for it.

And Boner was Mike Seaver’s friend on Growing Pains. There seems to be a trend.

Back on topic, I don’t find it offensive and I never interpret it literally. Half the time I’ve heard it used, it was in reference to trying to get a phone number or simply chat somebody up, not achieve sex that very night.