Catastrophe of Historic Proportion?

They suspect the bridge collapse was due to some structural failure! Wow. Who would have guessed?

Also, they are planning a special: “How safe was that bridge?”

Let me help you out with that. It was really safe for a long time, then very unsafe for a little while, and now its kinda safe in spots and pretty dangerous in others.

:rolleyes:

When there were the London bombings on 7/7, I panicked more than a little until I got in touch with my brother. That was in a city of 8 million residents (higher daytime) when 56 were killed. Included in that 56 were 4 bombers, and I was pretty certain big bro wasn’t one of them. So the odds were stunningly against him being involved, especially because he had no reason to be in that area as far as I knew. Didn’t stop me feeling crap until I found out he was OK though. I don’t think the percentage odds of someone they know being involved are necessarily first on their minds.

Uh, just in case I’m not being whooshed by sarcasm, you do know the poisoned Flavor-Aid was Jonestown, not Jamestown, right?

Sailboat

In the keeping with the law of conservation of political stupidity, (which as we all know states that an idiotic idea from one side of the political spectrum must be followed up by an equally idiotic idea from the opposite side of the political spectrum) I submit that it’s only a matter of time before conservatives start clamoring to need to invade Libya and bomb all their roads and highways, so we can fight collapsing bridges over there, and not over here.

Nope, not under a Democrat because they like to have lots of people out of work to fill up the welfare rolls and most of the people on that bridge were commuting to or from their jobs. :wink:

Sure, the memorial thread was premature and its creator was roundly and immediately criticized for it, but the important thing was that she was in the second tower’s lobby when the first was hit and, had she not decided that was the cue to take a day off, she WOULD have been at her desk way up in the building when it was hit. See, there we actually had reason for concern for her health and that of the several Dopers living or working in the immediate area. This bridge collapse also COULD have involved Dopers or their family and friends because hundreds of thousands of people are on it at one time or another every day. We have long, accurately or not, called the SDMB a “community” and members of a community sometimes like assurance that everybody is doing well. If you find that concern annoying, stay out of MPSIMS.

You are on a roll lately, Miller. Although I might add that the bridge wouldn’t have collapsed if it hadn’t been built by those Minnesota liberals. You know they’re a little… soft.

Down river in St. Louis, the Fox affiliate has already done the “could it happen here?” piece. Which was pretty much of a nothing-burger, considering there wasn’t even any speculation on the cause of the collapse.

Fucking liberal support columns!

Wel you can call me James(town) or you can call me Johns(town) or you can call me Jones(town)…

I agree with this too. I find it odd that because I complained about liberals, the idiots here deduce automatically that I’m a conservative. It’s not a bifurcation.

And when I made the statement you quoted, I was specifically speaking of liberals here, on this board. The over-the-top screechy type.

Well, aren’t you just a fucking idiot.

I was commenting on Trunk’s post when he was complaining about all the bullshit compassion that will come of this. I added by implying that not only is there what he said, but soon will come the screeching liberals politicizing the disaster to further their agendas. Nowhere did I even allude to these thoughts being the first in my mind. It entered my mind after reading Trunk’s post.

It’s about time that you took your virtiol and shoved it up your ass. It seems you have a major hard-on for me, and whatever I post, you seem to take it completely out of context – or in a context that gets you all in a defensive tizzy.

Both of them?

Wouldn’t that be Newton’s Third Law of Political Stupidity?

“For every idiotic idea from one side of the political spectrum there is an equal but opposite idiotic idea from the other side of the political spectrum”

Sadly, when this one fell, there was almost no national media coverage. Of course, it was a busy week for the news.

Hey Trunk, I passed through the ass end of Baltimore once, on an Amtrak overnighter to DC. Did you see me from the platform?

Oh, and my work has seen fit to install its very own Starbucks. You want me to pick you up some decaf?

Trunk’s post was ridiculous too. But as far as those whiny, know-it-all liberals go- let me know when Dopers start saying the stuff you talked about. So far I’m pretty sure there haven’t been any, which makes your pre-bitching even sillier.

You wish. :stuck_out_tongue: I think we’ve spoken on this board all of two times. If there are more, I’ve been lucky enough to forget them.

You mean like this? :smiley:

There have been 291 traffic deaths in Minnesota this year. That’s like 10 people a week.

To set my heart at ease, could all of our Minnesota Dopers just check in with me every Monday just so I’m sure you’re all right.

I’m just really freakin’ out here because of all those traffic deaths. I mean, like the SECOND you know you’re all right each Monday, just go ahead and check in with me.

Well, what really has me worried is that there are about 10000 deaths from cancer each year in Minnesota.

JESUS. That’s like 30 deaths a day. I mean, it has to be ONE of you, right? One of you has to be dying just about every second. I heard “death” and “Minnesota” in the same sentence. I’m just so worried about you all.

Do hellspawn count as children?

Here you go! And here!

Now STFU.