[Catching] my cat [to take him to the vet]

I have a 9 year old cat I have had him since he was born. He will come to me when he wants to I can never go up to him and pick him up. He runs when you go towards him. We have never been mean or yell or anything to him. I have 2 other cats and they are fine. You can pick them up carry them around anything. Well smokey hurt his
foot the other day. I can’t catch him to take him to the vet. His paw on the hind foot is bent under and he won’t walk on it. I don’t know what to do since I can’t catch him. He didn’t eat for 1 1/2 days but now he is eating normally. Does any one have any ideas for me.

Persuade him to come to you, then catch him?

Since the OP is looking for advice, let’s move this to IMHO. I also edited the title to indicate the subject.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Surely, if you put a rare treat in a pet carrier, like some tuna or chicken, and sat next to it, you could simply close the door behind him when he enters.

Given the apparent nature of the cat, you will certainly need a pet carrier in order to safely transport him to the vet, so I hope you have one. If not, see if the vet can loan you one.

Are there any foods he really likes? My thought would be to put the cat carrier in the bathroom (say, in the tub with the shower curtain closed if he recognizes what it is), and put some yummy food like smelly tuna or something like that on the floor in the bathroom. You could see if he will come in while you’re in there, then close the door. It’d be a smaller area with fewer areas of escape.

If he won’t come in the bathroom while you’re in there you could hide behind the shower curtain and, if possible, have someone else ready to close the door behind Smokey when they see he has gone for the food.