[QUOTE=KarlGrenze]
Since every time I go to church (which is not too often) I never participate in communion, let me tell you this… For me, going to Mass is much much more than communion.
Heck, communion is towards the ends of it! The sermon, that is what I go for. The prayers, that’s what I go for. Being there to tell God that I still believe, do my own silent prayers, etc. My favorite part is when we do the “peace unto others”. I like wishing well to others. I can still do all that without receiving communion.
My grandparents, like I mentioned, they still went to church and Mass regularly for 40 years, and never participated in communion. Again, to them, church and Mass was much more than that. It also becomes a community, they befriended priests for example, and participated in church activities.
Oh, and if you married someone who is divorced, neither one can participate in communion, not just the divorcee.
Sapo, I think you probably see that as something like “but I’m missing all the fun! Why am I going?”… I don’t feel it that way. Mass is much more than communion, just because I cannot participate in that does not negate me all the other things that happen there. Just because I am not in communion does not mean that I cannot get blessings, from example (and I won’t deny any blessing coming my way!).
Yea, I’ve been with my family to Mass and none of us (dad, divorced, mom, married to dad, and me, black sheep) participate in it. We still like it, we still enjoy it, we still get out of it what we seeked.
[/QUOTE]
This was a very common topic while I was on the seminary. Every time we went together to mass at a new place, we would ask “if an extraterrestrial came and spied on the mass, what would he think?” The Lord’s prayer would almost always come across as the climax of mass. The “peace unto you” would also rank high up there. The eucharist, not so much. Very little show, a very personal and introspective moment.
But the Eucharist is everything. Everything else is frosting and special effects. The Catechism makes quite a point of this. Everything else you can easily find elsewhere, the wisdom, the comradery, the joy. The Eucharist is the only thing that has no substitute and cannot be found anywhere else.
It is not that you are missing all the fun, it is that you are only getting all the fun. And none of the substance.
Going to mass and not participating of the Eucharistic Communion is like being scuba diver and content yourself with watching the Discovery Channel instead of getting in the water.
(And please, don’t take this as putting you or your family down. It is how I feel and why it bothers me, just my personal take on it. Each one is free to discern his own path to Salvation and act on it)