Unlikely

As a school janitor it was required.

Covid-19

Yes

Oh yes

Just a week or less

Idk.

Does this obituary make me look fat?

Besides, I would think if someone dies of cancer, most of those who know them already KNOW that. At least, that’s always been my experience.

I don’t usually read obits, but when I do the first thing I wonder about is cause of death. And if it’s someone I knew in a second or third degree of separation kind of thing, the first thing people ask/gossip about is cause of death. Usually the only kind of obit that lists a cause is when they put in something like “after a heroic battle against cancer, Jim passed away last night.”

Just for future reference, if he was replying directly to you, you would have received a notice that someone replied to you, unless you have that option turned off or that person is on your ignore list. Just like you and Esprise will get a notice that I replied to you, if all settings are normal.

I don’t care one way or another if someone lists a cause of death in an obit. Even less for Saget since I have no connection to him, unless you count the time I caught his act 20 years ago.

Perfect. :+1:

Of course, but the twenty questions thing isn’t directed at the family. In my experience there is always a set of people on the outside edges that speculate and ask questions about the death. Basically, nosy gossips.

You look mah-va-lous!

As i am currently writing an obituary of my mother with my siblings, i have some insight into this:

It’s not part of the standard formula, and it’s hard to think “out of the box” when you are grief-stricken. So the first several drafts of ours didn’t include a cause of death. I added a cause of death mostly because I remembered this thread.

That’s despite the fact that the emails and Facebook “death notices” i wrote from scratch all included a cause of death (and didn’t say anything about her life, just that she’d died.) Those were written to people who knew her, and were what you’d say to someone you were talking to (my mom died of covid. Here’s info on the memorial), not based on a standard template.

My sister and i ended up changing the template a lot. It left out her husband (my BIL), who was very very close to our mom. And it had horrible saccharine language that rubs me the wrong way (dear sister… cherished grandmother…) and stuff that wasn’t true (died peacefully).

But that’s a lot of work. I’m going to guess that a lot of death notices have all those features because it’s easiest to just fill in the blanks from the funeral home template.

And the funeral home template doesn’t include a cause of death because it’s sometimes a painful subject. But the result is that even if it’s not especially painful, it gets overlooked by the mourners, who aren’t at their best.

If they click the right reply button, sure. But I’ve encountered people who reply to me who click the thread reply button. You don’t get a notification if they do that.

I don’t think it’s intentional. It’s just that there’s no obvious difference in how their post displays either way, and thus they don’t notice.

I received no notification. It’d just be simply better if the software didn’t play games with how it shows replies to posts directly above (or replies to the OP). I don’t want to have to depend on notifications or the nuance of thread settings when the solution is so simple.

But that’s probably a conversation for a different thread.