CDs, DVDs on Tuesday

Why are CDs and DVDs always released on Tuesday.

I can understand why they aren’t released on Friday, but why not Monday or Wednesday?

If it’s anything like the video game world, they’re likely shipped to stores on Monday and put up for display Tuesday.

“They” picked a day, an unassuming day at that, to be the standard for releases. Perhaps Tuesday was the day with the least activity in a study done at that time? Since it has become the norm, it has surely made release dates easier to decide for studios. It’s origin is “WAG” unknowable since there is no real basis for it’s inception, just a random decision. Maybe based on a day where nothing else happens?

I am, of course, subject to informed correction here.

Whatever the reason, it was decided a loooong time ago. Back when I first started working in a record store (when we had all of ten CD’s but rows and rows of LP’s and cassettes) new releases on Tuesday. We generally got the albums on Monday or Friday but were forbidden by the labels from distributing them until their official release day on Tuesday. I assume the particular day had something to do with shipping times and allowing enough time that stores all over the country would have recieved their shipments.

“If it’s anything like the video game world, they’re likely shipped to stores on Monday and put up for display Tuesday.”

The guy who runs our video store said that he gets them on friday usually, esp if monday is a holiday…

I think both these are rare cases. 95% of the time, when I want to pick up a game that I’ve been waiting to release, I’m calling on Wednesday waiting for the UPS guy to get to Electronics Boutique because the company shipped on Tuesday.

I used to work at a Best Buy. As I remember CD, Movies (per DVD days) were put out on Tuesday. Video games were out on Wednesday.

Big Disney releases were always put out on a different day, but I can’t remember which day it was.

I used to work at a Best Buy. As I remember CD, Movies (per DVD days) were put out on Tuesday. Video games were out on Wednesday.

Big Disney releases were always put out on a different day, but I can’t remember which day it was.

My bad, this thread was linked to in another thread and I accidentally responded to it. Sorry all.