Cecil Adams' secret revealed

I just picked up a book Just Curious, Jeeves. (I have to have something to tide me over until the next Straight Dope book comes out.) Basically it’s a book of answers to questions like “How many people have committed suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge?” “Does a baby chick breathe inside the egg?” and “What’s a chitlin?”

But what really surprised me was their claim that Cecil Adams is actually some person they identified as Ed Gotti. Judging from his name, I’m assuming he’s a major figure in organized crime. Of course being the world’s smartest mafiaso, he was able to cover his tracks and his name was never mentioned when the rest of the Gotti family was taken down.

Not to rain on your parade, but we’ve already done this over in Comments. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=34077

Well, Cecil’s Column here on how telephone area codes are distributed srikes me as VERY similar to Ed Zotti’s
writing in Ed’s book Know It All!.

Sure it is rephrased and the examples are moved about.

but still…

Osip

Cecil–> Cecilian?

Coincidence? I think not.

Let me know if you get a big dead fish in the mail.

Cecil, is NOT a person, but a trademark. However, yes, there are real people with that name, but they are not this one.

The link you provided did indeed send us to a thread where this was mentioned. That thread quickly focused on the “what can be seen from ‘space’” issue and had little to no input relating to the OP.

Who is Ed Gottie?
:wink:

Going beyond the OP, as I’ve been reading this book, I’ve had a sense of deja vu. A suspiciously large amount of material in this book seems to be paraphrases of information previously published in The Straight Dope. I also think some of its from Feldman’s and Poundstone’s work.

One works where I work, but he acted like he wasn’t the real Cecil (I think he was playing dumb).