Celebrities with the most/least class and grace

Most: Sidney Poitier

I remember seeing an interview with Peter Fonda who described his father’s personality as being closest to his character in Fort Apache.

I remember seeing a special on Jimmy Stewart that Johnny Carson did along with a long interview. They showed a lot of footage that obviously came from Stewart himself. When he was talking about his military service, they showed footage of his retirement dinner. In uniform BG Stewart did not wear a toupe and was as bald as Patrick Stewart. Not many Hollywood stars would do that.

Except for his political flaws,I have heard Chuck Norris a very down to earth guy.

I was on a Derren Brown TV show.

He did over 3 hours of chess magic, mainly in one continuous take.
Yes, it was based on a trick, but he still had to concentrate very hard throughout.

When filming finished, the studio staff told him his car was ready.
But before going, he came and talked to the chess players (we don’t get that much :eek: ), signed autographs and thanked us all for our time.

That’s class.

Hey, I have one of those, too!

When I was a small child, both my father and mother raced, and Paul Newman would show up at a little bodunk track here in MN quite often. They were friends with the track owner, and they’d do stuff together. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was only maybe 8-10? I had no idea who or what he was, I couldn’t tell the difference.

As for classy? George Clooney. Tom Selleck is supposed to be a pretty good guy, too.

Not so much? Pamela Anderson, Courtney Love.

Most: Grace Kelly. (Of course this may be pure fantasy in terms of RL, concerning which I know little about her life off the screen, but who cares? She’s awesome.)

Least: Tom Cruise. :rolleyes: What a maroon.

I can add to the Paul Newman love.

He went to Kenyon College, which is not that far from where I grew up. He has donated money there and made appearances for several different presentations. The college is in a small-ish town and there aren’t many restaurants around.

A good friend of mine worked at a local deli which was always busy during lunch/dinner times. On a weekend when Paul Newman was at the college, there was a long line of customers. He said Paul and his wife were in line and it was obvious that Mr Newman was getting irritated by the line. My friend said that his staff wanted to take Mr Newman ahead of everyone else, but they didn’t want to single him out. Mr Newman’s wife was talking to him and seeming to calm him down. He was finally served and as he walked to a table he said “It’s about time” and cursed the employees.

Two days later toward closing time, Paul Newman and his wife came back. My friend said he was absolutely disgusted by his behavior before and wanted to personally apologize to each employee he insulted. My friend said they understood that people get frustrated in line and they were used to it. He insisted on apologizing to each person there, and asked the manager to call the one employee who wasn’t working at the time so he could apologize to her for his behavior the day before. He said it had been a long day and he’d just gotten some bad news about a longtime friend which had made him upset, but that all evening after they left he’d felt bad about being so irritable in line.

Before he left, he and his wife brought from their car several different baskets for the employees… chocolates, flowers, and a beautiful exotic fruit basket. As there was nowhere nearby that could have produced such baskets, they were sure he had them flown in just for them.

I’ve never heard a director or actor who worked with Cruise say anything but good things about him. Those who actually know him like him very much.

Easy one: Ving Rhames. When he gave his Gloden Globe to Jack Lemmon I teared up, I’ll admit it. Just solid class, all the way.
Low Class: Dane Cook always struck me as an asshole.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything bad about Mr. Rogers. He seems to be at the same level as Jimmy Stewart.

I’ve heard Peanuts cartoonist Charles Schlutz had lots of class.

Least classy (and everywhere damn it): Paris Hilton. She needs to go away ASAP.

I remember a story about dickhead director David O. Russell berating a crew member on the set of the Gulf War movie Three Kings. Clooney, the star, came to the crew member’s aid, and I’m not sure if he threatened to walk out or threatened to kick Russell’s ass, but his intervention calmed the situation down. (I’ve heard conflicting reports.)

This is one of many times I’ve heard about Clooney being a nice and gracious class act, and also one of many times I’ve heard about David O. Russell being a colossal jerk – there is also the footage of him yelling and cursing out Lily Tomlin on the set of I Heart Huckabee’s, and the story about him putting Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan in a semi-threatening headlock in public, like a common schoolyard bully.

Definitely.

About 7 or 8 years ago, Clint Eastwood was in the market to buy a personal helicopter, and was at our facility (American Eurocopter in Grand Praire, TX). I bumbled out of my office in the IT department to go take a leak, and literally ran into him in the hallway.

He shook my hand and introduced himself and was absolutely very pleasant. This, to a minor IT drone who was just going to pee.

(not that he’s a celebrity, but I heard that Wayne Huizenga was kind of a dick when he showed up to buy a helicopter)

I’ve liked Kevin Costner ever since I read a letter to a magazine (sorry I don’t remember which one–it was in a waiting room many years ago), from a woman who had lost her father and was on her way home from the funeral. Details are a bit fuzzy–I can’t remember if she was at an airport or bus terminal or train station–but she was crying and someone came over to ask if she was OK. It was KC, and he spent a good deal of time talking with her, offering comfort and sympathy. IIRC, he was taking a break from a movie set, too. From what she said, he was genuinely kind and concerned.

Pretty classy, in my book!

Penn and Teller are very nice to their fans. After a show I attended in a Princeton theater they stayed in the lobby and talked to everyone who wanted to, signed and took every photograph. They were the last to leave. Did I mention they were both wearing togas and covered in fake blood? Like I said, class. Penn also spent the entire intermission in the lobby with the audience. Teller couldn’t since he was killed right before intermission.

Hmmm, when Penn was on Colbert, he was quite the obnoxious ass. Not classy at all. Maybe he was having an off day.

My friend went to Penn and Teller’s show in Vegas last January, and stayed afterwards to meet them in the lobby. She said that Penn was just completely lovely. He laughed, joked, signed autographs, and was an all around great guy.

James Marsters is very classy, I think. I went to a fan convention a few years ago in Tampa. I had paid for two autographs on the second day of the convention. But he was running late, because he insisted on talking to every single fan, and treating them like they were all just good friends there for a chat. He was in serious danger of missing his flight, and his handlers were rushing him through the line. They literally lined everybody up in the hotel hallway and had him move down the line, scribbling quick autographs. I asked if I could get my 2nd autograph, and they told me to wait at the end of the line. If he had time, he’d sign it. If he didn’t, well, tough (no refunds!).

He signed every single autograph. Then he got to me and I gave him a copy of his band’s CD to sign. I said “This is for my husband. He’s a big fan of the band.” (Which is true). He said, “Oh, I’m not usually popular with the husbands. Tell him I’m short. And I’m a real asshole.” Then he winked, signed the autograph, and was rushed off to his plane.

That wasn’t the only time I met Marsters. Every single time I’ve seen him, without fail, he was a really great guy.

I also hear Alexis Denisof is fantastic, though I haven’t had a chance to meet him myself, sadly.

Not so much Spielberg these days.

That’s because Cruise used to have a press agent (I can’t think of her name right now) who made sure to keep him on a short leash regarding all Scientology matters. Unfortunately, once Cruise fired her, he was free to become a witness and head cheerleader for all things related to L. Ron Hubbard. Because of that, his professional rep and personal image has suffered noticeably.

My most classy has been mentioned, but I’m compelled to add my $.02.

I’ve never met the guy, and I don’t read gossip magagzines, but there is a guy so good-looking, popular and rich, that if he were the most insufferable prick in the world, he would probably be forgiven. Yet, when I see him on the late night talkies, he seems so genuinely humble, nice and likable it is amazing.

I’m adding my vote for George Clooney.

Plus already mentioned numerous times: Jimmy Stewart.

Least classy? I can’t believe no one has mentioned Rosie O’Donnell. “Never in the course of history has fire melted steel.” :rolleyes: Ignorant and a complete slob.

And I’ll second the nomination of Whoopie Goldberg. Comparing one’s nether regions to the sitting president of the United States is a bit below what I hope for in political discourse.

I have another nomination for Least Classy from the world of professional athletics, but my brain just rebooted and I can’t think of it now.