Celeste Holm died - 95 years old

She was a big star in the 1950’s. According to the imdb she continued acting and recently completed a couple projects. She appeared in Touched by An Angel several times and then took the character to Promised Land for three seasons.

Very long career going back to the 1940’s.

She was a doll to me. People talked trash about her husband Frank, but he took good care of her from what I saw.

One of her movies that might appeal to this board’s membership was Champagne for Caesar. Ronald Coleman is a polymath who is mistreated by Vincent Price. Coleman seeks revenge by going on the $64K Question-type show that Price sponsors, and running wild with correct answers. Celeste Holm is brought in to distract Coleman: she achieves this by pretending to nap in his study while he’s trying to prepare, and giggling in her sleep.

I’m sorry to hear this. I was watching All About Eve on DVD earlier today, and had no idea that it would turn out to be my memorial tribute to one of its stars.

I have always loved the look on her face when we in the audience know she emptied the car’s gas tank so it’d run out in the middle of nowhere, but Bette Davis doesn’t.

I was reading about her legal battles with her sons in recent years that have left her cash broke. How truly awful, and how can they live with themselves? (Unless you are in some sort of business arrangement, you are NOT entitled to your parents’ money- no idea where that notion comes from.)

She was one of my favorite actresses, not surprising considering my obsession with Gentleman’s Agreement and her character in that movie. I smiled every time she showed up on T.V. I’ll miss her. :frowning:

Where there’s a will, there’s a greedy relative :frowning:

Whenever a older wealthy person gets attached to a much younger person there’s always concern that they are being conned. Anna Nicole married a billionaire in his nineties and spent years in court trying to cash in. They were only married 14 months and he was really ill most of that time.

There are exceptions. I know nothing about Celeste Holm’s husband except the 45 year age gap. If she was still very sharp mentally then she had every right to make her own decisions.

As I understand it, Holm’s 5th (and final) husband was 46 years younger than her – and quite a bit younger than her sons, who thought (and probably still think) he was only in it for the money.

She had a (long-time) home in the same NJ township in which I lived for several years. I briefly worked for the building department, and any time she would call about anything, she was very nice and would never say “This is Celeste Holm” - she would always say “This is Mrs Addy”. At the time, she was married to character actor Wesley Addy - they were married from 1961 to his death in 1996.

I would see her occasionally in the local Shop-Rite; I always would smile and give a little nod, and she would nod back. I don’t know how many other townies knew her, but it was never “ZOMG IT’S CELESTE HOLM!” I think classic movie fans have a bit more tact :slight_smile:

One of her sons is Ted Nelson - the guy who coined the phrases hypertext and hypermedia in 1963 (!) and published them in 1965.

I am saddened at her passing - yet another elegant light from the Golden Age has been dimmed, and I fondly remember her as the Fairy Godmother in the 1960s TV version of Cinderella. Sadly, she was embroiled in a nasty estate battle with her sons over her current (now her widower) husband. She was living in reduced circumstances, although from most accounts very much loved and cared for. It’s always about the dough, ain’t it?

UT~

Really?:rolleyes:

My apologies for the redundant information, Sampiro. I’ll be more careful.

UT~

No problem. Sincere apologies for any real or perceived bitchiness in my comment.