Censorship, Aol

Should problems between ‘entities’ make us suffer?

Should the differences between “The Straight Dope” and AOL effect our ability to access TSD? Is AOL trying to censor?

I am confuzzled. What problems are you experiencing? I access this from AOL and have no unusual problems. Just the usual busy access numbers, pop-up ads everywhere, and inability to access the bestiality newsgroups…

um, nevermind.

Dr. Fidelius, Charlatan
Associate Curator Anomalous Paleontology, Miskatonic University
“There’s a Seeker born every minute.”

Gee, doc - then I must be getting censored. Nothing poppy said made any sense to me…

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

DrFedilius, Majormd … My posting was sincere! Remembering the court thing with Blue Mountain, and all the misguided and lost cards and messages! Persuant to that, big time law suit!! BM vs Aol for obstuction…or something like that.(some of which were my messages and cards that never got to their destination). Straight Dope and Aol had some sort of seperation. All of a sudden…every time I try to go to the Staight Dope home page, it stalls about half way through and then I get kicked off. My hard Drive is lean & clean! I don’t mess around with a lot of downloading trivial BS. All I wanted to know is if Aol is messin’ with “The Straight Dope”, is it my imagination, has TSD changed something??? I haven’t! I’m new at this, I expect criticism, but I don’t need you to make fun of me and humiliate me, I want to learn! OK! Your hummble student … ~bb~

Ps: I will try to improve my postings.

Poppyp,

No need to get stressed out. AOL isn’t blocking access to the SDMB–I access the boards from AOL constantly, as do a few of the moderators and administrators.

The problem might still be with some of the settings on your end. I’ll e-mail you my AOL address and, if you like, we can sort through some of the items via IM.

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

Poppy - my apologies to you.

Your posts really didn’t communicate what your concerns were, but then I’ve sent off some incoherent rants when I’ve been frustrated, too :frowning:

I’m sure my post did nothing to help ease your frustration. I can’t say I know of any plot by AOL to make our access here difficult. I have a 45 minute kill program that cuts down on the booting, but I still lose posts several times a week. I’m starting, more & more, to post from Netscape, but AOL is a hard habit to break & is where all my resources are carefully organized…

Hope you are able to get your problem solved.

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

There seems to have been a problem with this week’s column taking too long to download. I’m guessing it’s not AOL, but a prob with Slug’s illustration (gif). Of course, it may be that AOL has decided Slug’s pictures are unsuitable for their members, I could understand that.

P.S. - the parting between Straight Dope and AOL was perfectly friendly, it was a business decision on AOL’s part that the READER understands perfectly. Straight Dope isn’t a huge crowd-pleaser or big-time money maker.

And I, for one, as a non-AOL member, was selfishly glad to see it happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here on this site today. (Hey! No comments from the peanut gallery on that last sentence! :slight_smile: )

{{{And I, for one, as a non-AOL member, was selfishly glad to see it happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here on this site today. (Hey! No comments from the peanut gallery on that last sentence!}}}—David B

Actually, I think it’s a good thing…new blood, and all that! :smiley:

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

Now, now. Blood belongs over in the BBQ Pit.

Tom~

poppy,
I had trouble getting here last night. Tried three times and each time the computer froze up completely. I don’t know if it’s been going on for a while as I’ve been out of town for a week, but it seems to be fine tonight. I’m not an expert, but it looked to me like a minor glitch.

I’ve been having problems with screen-freeze and the occasional crash lately when I try to log onto TSD web site. So you’re not alone, poppy. I also access TSD from AOL.

CKDextHavn…IF!.. you are closer to the truth than anyone, (AOLs dis-approval of the art work) Should not effect me! I don’t need a baby sitter. I don’t need, or want Aol tellin’ me what I can look at, and what I can’t. I think you hit the nail on the head! Thank you…CKD, you’ve helped me make my point!

<G>
poppyp, I’ll give ya any help you might need, but I’m thinking now that the problem is probably the same one bing discussed here: Frozen computer?

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

Poppy says: << I don’t need, or want Aol tellin’ me what I can look at, and what I can’t. I think you hit the nail on the head! Thank you…CKD, you’ve helped me make my point! >>

Ummm… Poppy, my sincere apologies, I should have included a warning on that post of mine as follows: “Warning! Sarcasm sometimes tends to drip into my posts. I think it’s a short in the keyboard wiring.”