Character deaths on sitcoms (open spoilers inside)

It was also revealed that…

Darlene had really married Mark and Becky had really married David and that Becky was the one with the new baby, not Darlene. Jackie was really a lesbian (hence all of her man problems), but their mother wasn’t. The entire series was a book Roseanne Conner wrote about her life, but she changed a few things here and there. But the entire last season was completely made up as she wanted to write things going her way because of the death of Dan . In the last shot of the last episode, Roseanne walks through the house and it’s back to normal.

You can’t be serious. I knew about the last season being a book but the entire series? Holy hell, I’d’ve been so pissed if I were a fan of that show. What bullshit.

There was another “Very Special Episode” of Growing Pains about the Kirk Cameron character’s favorite uncle dying and his having problems dealing with it. There is some kind of dream/fantasy sequence in which the dead uncle comes jogging into the kitchen (I think he died while jogging) and tells him that it’s “okay” to let him go.

I agree about the stupidity of that episode of Family Ties. They were bucking for an Emmy and as I recall, they got it.

There was the “controversial” right-to-die death on All in the Family in which Edith is doing some kind of candy-striper type volunteer work at a hospital, and is sitting with a patient who has had one or more heart attacks or strokes (I can’t quite recall the details). She tells Edith that if she has another attack, she doesn’t want the hospital to try to resuscitate her. Of course, it happens, and Edith just sits there with her typical Edith look of bewilderment and pain on her face and lets the woman go without summoning the nurses as she has been trained to do. Afterwards, she either quits or is let go.

Omar Epps was a med student on E.R who was friends with Carter. The stresses of the E.R drove him to a gruesome suicide. I was so shocked by that episode I think I cried when I first saw it.

But everyone has died on that show. Mark Greene. Rocket Romano. Ansbaugh’s son. Peter Benton’s ex-girlfriend and nephew. Jing Mae’s mother. Carrie’s mother. Carter’s grandmother and cousin. And Kelly Martin.

Oh. You said sitcoms.

There was Jamie’s Uncle Van on Mad About You.

“Tell me it’s true, baby! Tell me it’s true!”

On Just Shoot Me, Maya’s neighbor died onscreen in the episode where she hosted a murder re-enactment. That was one of my favorite episodes of that series.

:smack:

Same here. What makes it especially hard to watch is that, once you realize why Elaine was such a mean spirited bitch, you felt sorry for her. When she finally realizes she has the family she’s always wanted, she dies.

Another near tear-jerking moment is when Danny takes Mary’s advice and starts being nice to Elaine. When he pulls out the chair at the dinner table, that look on her face is great. You can see her life change.

I was under the impression that Roseanne had made up the series from the moment that Dan fixed up the basement for her to have a place to write, in the second season, I think..

that would be Jack Soo. Actually, it was The character, Det. Yemana, who suffered a heart attack. I remember him being wheeled out on a gurney, weakly waving to the gang as they assured him they would keep up with the files. Jack died from cancer.

DD

Yeah, but to be fair somebody dies in most episodes of Scrubs. That’s part of what makes it such a good show. It gives the characters and the setting a reality they need to reach out and grab the viewer. Nobody would or could believe doctors who never lost a patient, or a hospital where nobody ever dies, and consequently nobody would ever care about the characters.

Three out of four generations of the Blackadder dynasty died horribly at the end of their series.

That was Inspector Lugar (James Gregory) who had the heart attack and was wheeled out. He got better. I don’t believe they ever gave a cause of death to Yemana.

I vaguely remember a CatM ep where Jack Albertson tells the “new” Chico…a little boy IIRC…that Chico died. Why? Drugs.