Check out this freaky virtual head! (non-sexual, sorry)

She has a fetching smile, bloodshot Dracula eyes notwithstanding. I just spent several minutes trying to figure out how to make her smile. Answer: she apparently smiles randomly, which gives her the aura of one of those mentally disabled people who also smile at random moments unconnected to what’s going on around them.

So she sits there, following your mouse pointer with her eyes, and smiling gently at odd moments. And if you leave the mouse pointer centered on her face, she has this whole internal conversation with herself, smiling occasionally.

Uh huh.

Oh, Nurse Ratchett…?

I think it’s freaky how she’s breathing the whole time, you can watch her shoulders rise and fall.

I think that’s a lot of it, actually. I dodn’t take a long time to look at the page; just skated the pointer over it and went on my way. (I’m at work.) But a lot of the Uncanny Valley is about behaviour more than looks, and picking out the crazies is one of the reasons why.

I get that it’s an animation, but she looks so… plastic. Like her entire face is composed of Botox.

(It’s good computer technology, though. How long before this kind of realistic rendering makes it onto the commercial market for video / computer games?)

I’d like to have my portrait done like that. If it could utter some vague forms of agreement and/or inane compliments, I could leave it on my computer and duck out. No one would know the difference.

She’s cute. Anyone know if she is in a relationship?

There’s a similar, creepy one out there somewhere that I forgot to bookmark. It has the head of a dog, rather than a human, but otherwise is the same kind of thing, following your mouse cursor around the screen.

The creepiest thing about that one is that the dog occasionally gives a completely human smile, little even teeth and all. Sends shivers, it does.

Has anyone else seen it, or maybe even bookmarked it?

Dog one:
http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIdog.swf

That’s a lot creepier. Those are not dog eyes.

It’s funny that the first thing I thought of after gazing at the picture was that of a dog. I’ve got a great picture of mine looking quite goofy. If she were animated in my office dear Tulip could pester me all day.

Don’t feed it after midnight.

Thank you for the link Revtim.
I’ve heard that term before on the boards but I think this is the first time I’ve put it into perspective.
I agree with DDG that her random smiling is a bit unnerving as well.

That was my first thought. There’s something not dog-shaped about the face too.

Ewww.

BTW, thanks for introducing me to the Uncanny Valley concept. That was a new one to me.

Probably not long; the character faces & animations/morphs for Bethesda’s Oblivion aren’t too far off in realism. They use a morphing technology for facial appearances and expressions; PC’s can create their own custom faces, NPC’s look around and change facial expression in response to stimulus in the game world and player-initiated “conversation”.

(The links to the Motion Portrait site are blank pages for me, in both Firefox and IE, but I checked out the video Mangetout linked.)

Sez you!

This is really obvious if you right-click, zoom in, and wait for her to blink.

A little creepy because of the smile alone, but overall pretty realistic. Also cute! Due to the hairstyle and facial orientation, I’d bet good money her (virtual) ethnicity is Japanese.

As for the dog, my friend has a dog just like that! Didn’t creep me out at all. Cute dog link.

Okay, that is amazing. :slight_smile:

I’m not getting either of these; just blank grey screens. I’m on dialup, so YouTube is a no-go.

Do I need to update my shockwave, or something?

The base website is in Japanese, so yeah.